What qualities will wheat add to my ale recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I've noticed that wheat is an ingredient in some ale recipes I've seen on this site and elsewhere but I don't know what the wheat adds to the looks or flavor of ales. What can you guys tell me about the addition of wheat to an ale recipe?

I add it for mouthfeel and head retention, and it does this without adding color or significant flavor changes. Some people use carapils for that, but wheat is cheaper and works just fine for me.

If I am not mistaken, wheat's contribution is protein, which produces what 2-Heads has said.

I am of the carapils crowd, as I do not like wheat beers, I do not have it around.

1/2 pound of carapils, and you're good.

I dislike wheat beers, so I'm probably biased. But I've used wheat in several recipes, and it's good for what I need it for.

I use it primarily for head retention. But there are many people who love wheat beers, especially fruited wheat beers. To me, wheat beer tastes like grape nuts only with beer. Fruit only makes it worse.

That said, I'm going to make Dude's Watermelon Wheat recipe this week. I think that will be a big hit with my friends, and make a nice summer cooler.

If you like German hefeweisens, or American wheats, then a wheat beer is right up your alley! Otherwise, it's a good ingredient for head retention in malted barley ales.

I mostly use it for mouthfeel. I find it adds a "richness", a sort of "silkiness", to the beer when added in 0.5 - 1 lb amounts (5 gal batch). Similar to, but different from what you'd expect in a Bock, or a Marzen. For me, the head aiding is a side benefit.

If you go higher then you'll notice a definite wheat flavor. I've had some wheat beers that had a flavor not that dissimilar to cream of wheat.

The cool thing about wheat is that it's meant to be drank young. So if you make a beer with a fair amount of wheat in the mash bill (~20-40%), you'll have a quick turnaround beer that will taste good and be ready to drink in 2 weeks to a month.

Latest posts

Back