Fermentation slowing down too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have an all grain batch, 1.090 OG aiming for 1.012 FG. Unfortunately mashed too high, 154F. I did a big yeast starter, yeast went up to 80F as was supposed to. I am now holding the temp there to make the yeast go.

The huge krausen is no more, and there is still some thick foam on top. In the past 12 hours the SG has not changed. I am at 1.026 SG. Been stirring the batch every day. It has been going for 5 1/2 days, was supposed to get to 1.018 by this time. I am working hard to keep the fermentation schedule so the brew turns out how I want it.

I don't want to keep the batch at too high temp for too long as I don't want banana beer. Yeast is WLP530. Should I pitch some Nottingham's yeast to take down the gravity, and bring the temp down to suit it, or let the current yeast keep going?

I am tempted to add some Nottingham's as I don't want to over stress the yeast I have going already. Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated!

"was supposed to get to 1.018 by this time." With belgians i have found there is no "supposed to" for final gravity it may go lower. Its a big beer and 1.090 to 1.026 in five 1/2 days is not shabby.

I would check it every three days to see if its dropping. I like 530 but it can be twitchy and just sit around not moving for a few days. I share you concern about sitting at 80F for too long but you should be ok for a week or so.

Back