which apple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
My partner and I are thinking about taking a turn at cider. Since it is currently fall, we'd like to do a still/low carbed cider that is made from real apples that we juice ourselves.

Which apples are the right apples to do this? We've got some orchards that have Galas, Cortlands, and Jonathans for sale. These are the bulk "seconds" or horse apples. He said he would sell of 25lbs for 5 bucks.

We were thinking about getting 50 pounds of these and topping them off with 10 pounds of granny smith apples.

What apples work for cider and what ones should we stay away from? If we've got a great juicer, how much juice can we get from 25lbs of apples?

I read somewhere that to get five gallons, we're looking at 60lbs of apples.

Gala, Cortland and Jonathan would be a good mix. The Jonathans are pretty tart, so if you have enough of those, you might not need the granny smith. Go by taste. I dont know about a juicer, but a decent home press will usually get 2 to 2.5 gallons per bushel (40lbs). A commercial press will get 3 gal, which is probably the best you could expect from a juicer.

Back