What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled 10 gallons- 5 gallons of Pilsner and 5 of Hefeweizen. It took too long; I need to get kegging.

Bought ingredients for my porter (second place in the Dixie cup!) which I had to scale up because this batch is for my wedding, and ingredients for a Flanders red tip pitch into my de bom yeast cake.

Started to clean and repair an old kegerator I got my hands on. Yukity yuk, lots of muck. Someday it will be really cool, but it's disgusting and leaks and the temp ctl is all over the place right now.

Dry hopped my Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus IPA, then worked through the Bru'n Water stuff for the ESB I have coming up and measured out the water additions, and got the WLP002 starter going.

I FORCED myself to drink a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve to compare my clone with the real thing. Unfortunately the trappists beat me this time. :(
Perhaps mine needs another month.

Late last night I swirled the snot out of my fermenter full of Kate the Great RIS and today it was gurgling away about every 5 minutes. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled a little over 5.5 gallons of my Osmanthus and Sichuan Pepper saison. Was going to use steeped osmanthus and Sichuan pepper tea to dissolve the bottling sugar, but the remaining osmanthus flowers had grown moldy, so I just did about a gram and a half of the peppercorns. Will be grinding my RIS 1.1 grains soon for a Tuesday or Wednesday night brew

Bottled my sour mash saison and making the second step starter for my porter.

Threw a couple faucets on the fridge. Two more on the way for now

IMAG2494.jpg

Today I came home and immediately relieved my new keg of 8 ounces of its burden... Realized that there s nothing quite like coming home to a keg of hoppy goodness I made myself, then promptly went downstairs to the shop to check on the next batch - what I'm hoping will be another nice hoppy yum yum. Bubbling away merrily in its fermentation chamber...

Which got me thinking about the next batch. So now I'm back upstairs going through the stock of hops and grain so I know what to get at the LHBS tomorrow while waiting for SWMBO to get home. She too will have a pint...

Pretty nice life I've got going here... Pretty nice indeed!

:mug:

Took a gravity reading on a English ipa me and my buddy brewed it's at 1.010 we dry hopped with 5 oz of willamette

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Started the cold crash on my Spiced Winter Ale.

Spent the afternoon cutting a box and wiring up my STC-1000
IMAG1029_zpsea10420f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Was feeling very proud of myself, plugged it in and then

BOOM!
:confused:

So not sure if the STC was faulty or if I was at fault
Was happy all my wiring was correct and secured so may try and get a cheap replacement STC and try again

I decided to taste a Belgian Pale Ale that I had kegged a few weeks ago. I was getting a really strong green apple flavor. This was the first time I had come across this in a beer but I knew it was likely a result of acetaldehyde. Even though it's an off flavor it's also exciting when you feel like you have become a better taster. While looking into a way to remove the flavor I realized that I was sitting next to a new apple scented air freshener that my wife had just bought. The beer's fine.

Spent the afternoon cutting a box and wiring up my STC-1000
IMAG1029_zpsea10420f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Was feeling very proud of myself, plugged it in and then

BOOM!
:confused:

So not sure if the STC was faulty or if I was at fault
Was happy all my wiring was correct and secured so may try and get a cheap replacement STC and try again

Hey man! Your outlets look funny; I bet that is the reason! ;)

I am wiring up one of those myself today. I hope it doesn't go pop! What directions did you use?

Hey man! Your outlets look funny; I bet that is the reason! ;)

I am wiring up one of those myself today. I hope it doesn't go pop! What directions did you use?

Figured out my mistake, got the 12VAC version instead of the 220v version
Was sure I had checked that but clearly not

New, proper one, ordered and lesson learned :fro:

This morning I moved my batch of Edwort's Haus Ale into my cold crash fridge.

I've yet to learn patience from any of my life lessons experienced through brewing. Cold crash? Sounds immediate but takes days.

Monday I gotta go out looking for a copy of windows 7 & a 3 terabyte external hard drive, so I'm thinking of getting the spring water to brew my ESB ingredients laying in the fridge, freezer & dunnage container awaiting my attention. They're starting to look like they're getting lonely...

Today I dry hopped my Citra Smash Pale Ale....

Very excited... the beer looked like everything was going well when I opened the lid to the bucket and put in the hop bag real fast....

Ready for bottling on Monday!

I've had a 12'r of my dampfbier lagering in the fridge 12 days or so. Gotta clean some bottles after peeling sweet potatoes & stuffing the 25lb turkey.:mug:

Today I'm going to drink some really nice craft beer from Lone Pint out of Montgomery, Texas at my brother-in-laws house.

Later this evening, I might bottle my Apfelwein if I'm not too full to move or too tired.

Crafted a pale ale recipe to match up with my ingredients. Got it planned to brew for this Sunday...

Cleaned my first (technically sixth, but that was ten years ago) keg because the LHBS used it to serve root beer and didn't clean it. At least it wasn't moldy.

Went and blew the budget. Got what I'm hoping to be all the parts needed (aside from hose clamps) needed to make my keg fridge into a proper kegerator. 4x perlick 630SS with SS shanks and handles being the highlight. Then a whole heap of tubing and connectors behind the scenes to make it happen.

If not for the current Black Friday promotions it would still be on my "list of things to acquire."

Drilled spigot holes in my 2 brew pots. They are decently thick aluminium pots but were real easy to drill with a titanium step bit. Out tomorrow then Monday's plan is to fit the spigots.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Tasted a bunch of different homebrews, wines and meads, most of which were pretty damn good! Need to get a starter going for my pale ale I'm making tomorrow.

Brewed yesterday so I finished cleaning up and putting away a couple of items today.

Checked about noon and I was getting bubbles 16hrs after pitching.

Never got on here yesterday, full day

- AG Zombie Dust Clone, smelled great. Had some ZD turkey day and have a bottle for a compare when mine is ready.
- Problem with starter, didn't look good, think it got too cold in the fern fridge so needed to get yeast.
- Took daughter to lunch and a movie then got yeast on the way home.
- Cleaned up all the brew equipment I left soaking.
- Built can heater for ferm fridge.
- Set the controller up to hold temp heat and cool.
- Smack packs were ready so, dumped the ball on the fast ferment, aerated and pitched.

Bottled 4.3 gallons of an experimental IPA. That was yesterday. Today I brewed a honey red ale that turned out to be a honey brown (just a touch too much roasted barley).

5.25-ish gallons in the fermenter. Should be about 6.5% ABV.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Was at the n.e. revolution game today and noticed that one of the beer vendor's faucet was spinning around on her. I asked her if she needed some help. From there I popped the top off the draft tower and hand tightened the nut on the back of the shank. She was pretty grateful.

Back