What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I got rid of a cool old steamer trunk we no longer had had room for. I did it for beer, because getting rid of it was SWMBO's prerequisite for me to build a keezer. :mug:

Now I just have to figure out how to make room in the pantry for the keezer... I'm thinking it will have to open in the front AND have taps on the front, so there can still be room above for shelves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Also, we have a toddler, so I'll need to be able to lock down the taps somehow.

Last night I got rid of a cool old steamer trunk we no longer had had room for. I did it for beer, because getting rid of it was SWMBO's prerequisite for me to build a keezer. :mug:

Now I just have to figure out how to make room in the pantry for the keezer... I'm thinking it will have to open in the front AND have taps on the front, so there can still be room above for shelves.

Or do what some others here have done and put the keezer on casters so that you can roll it out when you need to mess with it (change kegs, gas, clean the lines, etc). Are you going to have the vertical clearance for a collar?

Brewing a pale ale (citra and admiral hops), and I bought the ingredients for a rye saison I will brew next weekend. Also bought some gypsum so I can start doing more with my water (use RO water).

Or do what some others here have done and put the keezer on casters so that you can roll it out when you need to mess with it (change kegs, gas, clean the lines, etc). Are you going to have the vertical clearance for a collar?

Casters are smart.

All the shelves in there need to be replaced, so I can get the vertical clearance I need. But I worry that if I build the 2x4 collar like the typical chest freezer build, then taps sticking out the front will be too easy to accidentally turn on while getting other things in and out of the pantry.

I'm thinking about taps coming out the top, but then I'll lose a lot of shelf space.

Boiled my Pliny clone twice after discovering that the compression fitting on my immersion chiller must have worked itself loose and was leaking a steady trickle of water into the wort. I'm guessing that my habit of stirring the wort with the chiller is the reason. I had it down to 70 degrees before I noticed it. I guess I should be happy that I discovered it at all. I hope it turns out alright.

Taught a friend how to brew while I made a Centennial & Amarillo APA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Already posted what i did, but i just finished sparging my pale ale, 80% efficiency! Looks like this will be a bit heavier than expected.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Casters are smart.

All the shelves in there need to be replaced, so I can get the vertical clearance I need. But I worry that if I build the 2x4 collar like the typical chest freezer build, then taps sticking out the front will be too easy to accidentally turn on while getting other things in and out of the pantry.

I'm thinking about taps coming out the top, but then I'll lose a lot of shelf space.

What is on the other side of that wall?

Brewed a chipotle pepper imperial stout. I liked Stone's Chipotle Smoked Porter so I thought I would give something similar a shot. I'm shooting for a touch more pepper heat in mine. Stone's is yummy, but a little mild for my taste.

I cleaned up and moved a gifted kegerator into my basement. 2 weeks from now, I'll be drinking my first self kegged homebrew... hopefully.

Gave this a auto tune test run. One step closer. It will be BIAB for now.
Killian could not understand why there were no mash grains to enjoy.

P1020087.JPG

P1020090.JPG

Brewed a chipotle pepper imperial stout. I liked Stone's Chipotle Smoked Porter so I thought I would give something similar a shot. I'm shooting for a touch more pepper heat in mine. Stone's is yummy, but a little mild for my taste.

I love imperial stout and I love hot food.... for some reason I can eat and drink them together but I have never met a spicy beer that I liked and not for lack of wanting to. I am glad there's somebody out there who can appreciate it. :mug:

Imp stout (smoked?) would probably be the best base for chipotle beer... may have to try again. Or brew a half batch of your recipe if you want to share. If it don't get drank it'll get cooked/ baked at least.

Bottled my ginger ale, finished around 6%. Still need a name for it.

Also racked my infected blackberry cider off the blackberries. Also had my first taste. Smells mildly of vomit, but tastes pretty good. Sour and fruity, but a thicker mouthfeel than the rest of the plain cider that didn't get any berries. Going to let it sit for a while, not sure when I'll get around to bottling it. Saved some trub just in case (also has Weyerbacher Riserva and Prairie Somewhere dregs in there).

I rebuilt 2 kegs. Kegged my gingerbread ale and my Irish Red. Cleaned 2 carboys and cleaned the lines on my keezer.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

A lot of stuff got done today.

1. Cleaned and tested six corny kegs I picked up yesterday for a total of $75(subtle bragging).
2. Dismantled a hard drive for magnets and sourced a power supply for a stirplate build later this week.
3. Pitched yeast in a kolsch I brewed late last night.
4. Built a shelf for the hump of my kegerator and did a test fit to make sure I could fit 5 kegs in there.
5. Drew up plans for a fermentation chamber and tried to acquire a free mini fridge(failed).

Transferred my California common to secondary for lager. And did some yeast washing. Although I did some reading on yeast washing and it seems to not be the best thing to do. For know I have not had any issues.

I love imperial stout and I love hot food.... for some reason I can eat and drink them together but I have never met a spicy beer that I liked and not for lack of wanting to. I am glad there's somebody out there who can appreciate it. :mug:

Imp stout (smoked?) would probably be the best base for chipotle beer... may have to try again. Or brew a half batch of your recipe if you want to share. If it don't get drank it'll get cooked/ baked at least.

I'll make the recipe public on Brewer's Friend if it comes out any good. I'll PM you when I do.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

Yesterday was a bad day for beer. During lunch I poured a glass of my Caramel Dunkel, which was just starting to carb and taste nicely, only to find out a couple hours later that my regulator went haywire and my setting from 14PSI jumped to 29PSI and about 4 gallons of Dunkel left the keg and made a Fridge and garage disaster. Wife tries to be positive, well you can always brew another beer; Yes I can.

Yesterday was a bad day for beer. During lunch I poured a glass of my Caramel Dunkel, which was just starting to carb and taste nicely, only to find out a couple hours later that my regulator went haywire and my setting from 14PSI jumped to 29PSI and about 4 gallons of Dunkel left the keg and made a Fridge and garage disaster. Wife tries to be positive, well you can always brew another beer; Yes I can.

I hate when that happens. Sorry for your loss. At least you got about a gallon worth out of it. Now you have the challenge to re-brew it and show the beer gods that you are making a stand against leaky kegs and ill behaved regs.

Ouch...

Points for the bottling crowd! (just kidding)

Today I have allowed beers to live another day (so far...)

That would definitely not be my wife's reaction...

Brewed 3 gallons of an experimental earl grey imperial ipa. I think the citra will compliment it well:D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Mounted my Monster Mill, and bolted my 1/2" drill, to a board. Test crush was phenomenal, I'm excited for my next batch.

MonsterMillMM2.jpg

Increased my bottle storage by 5 bottles (well 6 but I plan on drinking one this weekend since it is already 9 months old).
2 x Jester King El Cedro
2 x Jester King Das Wunderkind (one will be drank this weekend)
Prairie Funk Galaxy
Prairie Ale

Received my Pauwel Kwak & Duvel Gift sets, both with 2 Glasses, I :ban: the Kwak glasses.

Gathered some beer for a trade and a few things for myself.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

I covet that Yin! Evil Twin makes a damn fine American craft style beer for a Danish brewery granted I have only had the Yin and the Lil' B both dark beers.

Just finished cleaning 6 cases of Red Stripe bottles, thanks lady from work who's ex left them in the basement before he could attempt homebrewing...

Picked up parts to convert my kegerator from 3 to 5 taps.
Found a barrel/container warehouse close to me that sells 5,6, and 7 gallon food safe buckets and lids for cheap. Purchased two 6 gallon buckets for use as fermenters.

Cleaned another bucket of bottles. But, at the moment I have one empty wine bottle in the "to be cleaned" bucket so I'm finally caught up! Now, to start brewing again and fill all these empties...starting Monday!

Back