will these burners support the weight of a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacks4

Reaction score
Hey guys, will propane burners like this fit and support the weight of a keggle with 12-13 gallons of water? I like it because it has a banjo burner but the stand looks very flimsy.

41Ec7AmiODL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This looks a lot sturdier but has a much smaller burner.
419RNDRQF2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks!

I have the top burner. I don't think it would have any issue with the weight. Actually, we used it for a 10 gallon batch boil soon after I got it.

KAB6, the first one will easily handle it....that's some heavy steel rod. I have one and I've stood on it and I weigh 225 lbs. No problem

KAB6, the first one will easily handle it....that's some heavy steel rod. I have one and I've stood on it and I weigh 225 lbs. No problem

Not only is it steel rod, but the weight of the keg looks like it would lay between the two risers (or even on one flush), which is where the strength is. Now if the weight was on the extension (the unsupported part), that'd be a different story.

M_C

The top one is a KAB4, not 6.

Blichmann uses the same burner in their product.

oops, you are correct sir....my typo. I have both the KAB4 and the Blichmann burner and while the burner is the same, the shielding and pot location are a huge difference. The KAB4 requires a wind shield....and still won't match the Blichmann though for speed to heat. For $50, the speed and Stainless features make the Blichmann my next burner for sure.

I use that Bayou Classic with a keegle on 5 and 10 gallon batches. Its no problem at all with 5G batches. Its a little bit wobbly with a 10 gallon batch, but no problems. Mine is 6 or 8 years old though.

oops, you are correct sir....my typo. I have both the KAB4 and the Blichmann burner and while the burner is the same, the shielding and pot location are a huge difference. The KAB4 requires a wind shield....and still won't match the Blichmann though for speed to heat. For $50, the speed and Stainless features make the Blichmann my next burner for sure.

I've been wondering if the Blichmann was really worth the extra money... I might get it for my next burner, just to see for myself. Of course, I do plan to eventually have a stand, so the housing will probably be set aside. Although I could keep it for when I brew away from home. :mug:

I have two of the Blichmann burners and have been very happy with their performance and efficiency, and that there's no chance of outgassing paint fumes (I'm kinda sensitive to that).

And then there's the whole stainless steel bling effect...

Cheers ;)

True... Plus, I believe, they can be adjusted for larger vessels (or smaller ones)... Added the burner and leg extensions to my list of things to get next... Along with another March pump and a few other items I'll need.

Are the Blichmann's pretty efficient or do they use up a ton of propane?

True... Plus, I believe, they can be adjusted for larger vessels (or smaller ones)... Added the burner and leg extensions to my list of things to get next... Along with another March pump and a few other items I'll need.

You are correct - there are adjustable pot rests that will provide a secure platform for kettles ranging from 15" to 20" diameter, which I think covers 10 to 30 gallon pots.

I also bought the leg extensions for my HLT kettle burner as I don't have a stand (yet!) and needed the height over my cooler MLT (both sit on a table while the BK sits at "ground" level on its original legs).

But I wasn't comfortable doing the straight replacement of the original short legs with the long legs (ie: they're not really "extensions", they're replacements) as the added height made the original stance seem a bit tippy.

So I rigged up a jig on my drill press to add pairs of mating 3/8" bolt holes to the outside of the original legs and one side of the "extensions", then bolted them together with stainless hardware, providing about an 8" wider stance.
ab_jul_15_2011_02_sm.jpg

Probably not a necessary mod, but it feels more secure than "stock"...

Cheers!

can't beat the 2nd on your list, the SQ14.. i have two of them.. they are welded much better than needed for the weight of a full keggle and much cheaper than just about anything else.. gets my 10 gallons heated up as fast as needed

Back