stuck wort racking from brew pot to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjgalvez

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout today and when I tried to transfer the work from my brewpot to my fermenter it got stuck! I use a stainless steal scrubby on the end of my transfer tube attached my pots spigot. This worked great the last time I did it, but this time I opened the spigot and nothing came out, it was just stuck. Has this happened to anyone else? and what can I do when this happens? Thanks in advance for any and all help

I dont know what you can do besides get some pliable wire and start poking around up in your spout to try to relieve the jam.. (before you poke anything up there be sure to sanitize it). did you try shaking the pot vigorously to maybe jar loose anything blocking it?

I dont know what you can do besides get some pliable wire and start poking around up in your spout to try to relieve the jam.. (before you poke anything up there be sure to sanitize it). did you try shaking the pot vigorously to maybe jar loose anything blocking it?

I didn't shake it, but I did blow air up through the spigot, but that didn't work

So it still stuck in there? or did you get it out? I guess I would have probably dumped the mash into some other vessel (if you happend to have another cooler or a couple of buckets) and then un-clog it and transfer back again.. Of course you are going to lose lots of heat in the process and may have to add boiling water to heat the mash back up. have you already added all your sparge water?

So it still stuck in there? or did you get it out? I guess I would have probably dumped the mash into some other vessel (if you happend to have another cooler or a couple of buckets) and then un-clog it and transfer back again.. Of course you are going to lose lots of heat in the process and may have to add boiling water to heat the mash back up. have you already added all your sparge water?

it wasn't the mash it was my cooled wort, finally got it out, but I lost a lot and frankly I'm sure its most likely contaminated after I messed with the filter, (ended up removing it), but I thought I would try and ferment it anyway, hopefully the yeast will out grow anything else, but I'm not keeping my hopes up

Beer is an amazingly resilient thing.. sometimes, I swear, it does well just to spite you.. I think we've all had a siutuation or two that called for less-than-sanitized tactics in a pinch and had brews that ended up fine.. Did you figure out what happend? Why it clogged? Hops? did you use a different form of hops this time than you did last time? ie; pellets vs leaf?

not really sure, I used pellet hops, its all my brew shop has any real variety of, and frankly I've had really good success with the "scrubby" filter and pellet hops. The only thing I was wondering about, this is my first stout and it had a pound of oatmeal in it, so I think the filter just got "gummed" up. As I sat and thought about it I realized I should have just sanitized my racking cane and just used it to rack the wort rather then continue to use the the pot's spigot. Live and learn, I figure I'll bottle this batch and see how it goes (unless its obviously a mess in about a week when I transfer it to my carbo) and if it turns out bad, just try the recipe again.

Yes, I was about to say that most of us don't even have a spigot on our kettle.

Are you saying the oatmeal was floating freely in the wort? Not in a bag or anyhthing? Am I misunderstanding?

When I used to use a bucket I just picked up the whole kettle and poured into the fermenter. Great aeration on the way in.

No, the oatmeal was originally in my mash along with the rest of my grain. Funny thing the mash drained just fine no issues. After I boiled the wort with my pellet hops I cooled it (immersion chiller) and tried to drain the cooled wort into my fermenter, thats when it got stuck. So the only thing in the brew bot was (aside from the wort) was the turb

are you pitching your yeast in your brew kettle? When you say trub this is what makes sense to me. If you are wait until your wort is in your fermenter.

whrilpool the wort, hops should form in the middle then rack your beer placing the cane in the lower corner of your kettle. May work it has for me...

are you pitching your yeast in your brew kettle? When you say trub this is what makes sense to me. If you are wait until your wort is in your fermenter.

whrilpool the wort, hops should form in the middle then rack your beer placing the cane in the lower corner of your kettle. May work it has for me...

no, I'm not pitching in the bew pot, if turb is the wrong word what do you call the mess of hops and anything else that accumulate in the kettle during the boil?

I've tried the whirlpool thing, but never seem to get it to work right, I'll have to try it again the next time I bew

Back