Heading to San Diego for work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I will be heading to San Diego for work in a few weeks, I will only be there for half the month and won't have much time off, prob just Sundays.

I have never been to the west coast or that area, any place a MUST see on my limited time off?

It's to bad I can't get one of my motorcycle threre with me, I hear it's a great place to do some riding.

It is a nice place to ride weather wise, I personally don't enjoy the packed freeways for riding. Though unlike NC (which may be true in VA) you can "cut" or "split" traffic. That is, you can ride between cars. As a general rule, I try not to do that in CA myself because some people on the freeways are straight up morons, but you can do it. In a bumper to bumper traffic situation, I admit it is nice to be able to do it. I tend to worry too much though. Plus, I'm not a commuter rider so I generally stay off freeways if I can. If it were me, I would likely rent one for a day just to ride there since this is your first time.

That said, if you can get to some breweries I would do that. First up, Stone, then Pizza Port, Green Flash, Ballast Point (if you get grapefruit sculpin I would beg you for a trade), Lost Abbey, Mission, and Alesmith. I would hit those up, I would bring money...lots of money...and I would then head over to Bev Mo (Beverages and More) to see what beers they have on the shelf. There are likely other bottle shops there now, I haven't been there since moving to NC, but those are the breweries I would definitely try to hit. Out slightly further is Alpine Brewing, it's off the 8 freeway, if I recall, and they were just acquired by Green Flash. There was some talk on a group I am in that AmBev or something like that will acquire Green Flash and the acquisition of Alpine has something to do with that. I am not sure that is true.

I would hit up the Gas Lamp District and of course just enjoy the weather. I am in CA each Christmas and I enjoy my shorts and t-shirts on Christmas day. :)

Any stone location. Hit up the pizza port carlsbad bottle shop. Always cool stuff there. If you like belgian stuff try lost abbey.

Non-beer stuff: Wild animal park is cool. Balboa is loaded with neat things. Hotel del Coronado will have outdoor ice skating on the beach soon. Not sure when that starts.

Back