Cobb county brewer here, anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does seem to roughly jive with the other reports I've seen for Marietta and Cobb so although things may change seasonally, I doubt it's much to worry about. This water is very soft so a lot of water concerns folks have with hard water just won't apply to us folks - very lucky. That being said, I use RO now and adjust to suit the profile, so I've not thought about it too much - others might have more insight to the variability.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It does seem to roughly jive with the other reports I've seen for Marietta and Cobb so although things may change seasonally, I doubt it's much to worry about. This water is very soft so a lot of water concerns folks have with hard water just won't apply to us folks - very lucky. That being said, I use RO now and adjust to suit the profile, so I've not thought about it too much - others might have more insight to the variability.

Sounds good, thanks.

Yep you are correct ... A 3 year old water report may in fact be suspect. But anecdotal evidence from my experience shows that my non hoppy beers are better than my hop forward beers which would support the soft water profile given. Also , it seems to me that mineral content would not change a whole lot given the same water source. Of course ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep you are correct ... A 3 year old water report may in fact be suspect. But anecdotal evidence from my experience shows that my non hoppy beers are better than my hop forward beers which would support the soft water profile given. Also , it seems to me that mineral content would not change a whole lot given the same water source. Of course ymmv.

Thanks. I'm actually going to send a sample off to Ward Labs for an updated report. I'll post my results when I get them back.

Hey jmark... Did I read you had a KAL system? I would not mind checking that out some time

Yeah - I built it out a couple of years ago but with some hard plumbing and valves... It's definitely fun to use although I really need to spend some time doing similar strength recipes over and over to dial-in my equipment profile. My efficiencies started off all over the place, but have gotten better now that I mill my own grain and also got a handle in the pH values... I'll ping you next brew day - may be a couple of weeks - and you can check it out.

Gypsum is definitely required in my water if I want something remotely hoppy. I live just over the Bartow line, but the water here is too soft for most American styles. It's a lot easier to add salts than to try and soften a water that is too hard.

Yeah - I built it out a couple of years ago but with some hard plumbing and valves... It's definitely fun to use although I really need to spend some time doing similar strength recipes over and over to dial-in my equipment profile. My efficiencies started off all over the place, but have gotten better now that I mill my own grain and also got a handle in the pH values... I'll ping you next brew day - may be a couple of weeks - and you can check it out.

Sounds good. All i have is a cooler mash tun manual everything system. but if had the cash to spare , the kal syst would be my preference

WOODSTOCK WATER REPORT
04/15/2014

I live just north of Trickum & 92, got these results from Ward Labs today.

pH - 8.5
Total Dissolved Solids - 60
Electrical Conductivity - 0.10
Cations / Anions - 0.9 / 0.7

Sodium, Na - 7
Potassium, K - <1
Calcium, CA - 9
Magnesium, Mg - 2
Total Harndess, CaCO3 - 31
Nitrate, NO3-N - 0.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S - 3
Chloride, Cl - 8
Carbonate, CO3 - 3
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 10
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 13
Total Phosphorous - 0.04
Total Iron, Fe - 0.01

And here's a screen shot that might be a bit easier to read...

XMStdcz.png

I started using 5.2ph in my mash and I had a feeling it was helping. Now I know. Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

I started using 5.2ph in my mash and I had a feeling it was helping. Now I know. Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

I'd read up on 5.2, I've heard that it doesn't work that well, just an FYI...

If you look at the water adjustment primer , he explains it better

OP here. I'm since moved to AG and built 2 keggles. I also found clarity ferm which allows me to use barley to brew with and still able to drink it without getting sick. Amazing stuff it is.

WOODSTOCK WATER REPORT
04/15/2014

I live just north of Trickum & 92, got these results from Ward Labs today.

pH - 8.5
Total Dissolved Solids - 60
Electrical Conductivity - 0.10
Cations / Anions - 0.9 / 0.7

Sodium, Na - 7
Potassium, K - <1
Calcium, CA - 9
Magnesium, Mg - 2
Total Harndess, CaCO3 - 31
Nitrate, NO3-N - 0.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S - 3
Chloride, Cl - 8
Carbonate, CO3 - 3
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 10
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 13
Total Phosphorous - 0.04
Total Iron, Fe - 0.01

And here's a screen shot that might be a bit easier to read...

XMStdcz.png

looks like that report confirms the softness of our water here. looks very similar to mine. The biggest difference is the PH. Mine was 7.9 and yours is 8.5. still not too far off. Some fluctuations should be expected. I have been using the Bru'in water software, and I am just starting to figure it out. I plan on adding a little lactic acid to my mash on the czech pils I am making in about a week to bring the PH down to the 5.3-5.4 range. That beer needs soft water, so I can't really adjust the PH with minerals too much.

FYI... this Saturday is Burnt Hickory Brewing's 2nd Anniversary party and it's going to be a BIG event.

They've got a ton of their beers pouring and they're also doing a Future Brewers of Georgia section where they invited a few homebrewers to brew one of our recipes at their brewery and serve it up at the event. I'm pretty stoked to say that I'm (along with my co-brewer, Brian Hewitt) one of the homebrewers that was invited and I'll be serving my Synesthesia Saison! My last batch of this beer took 3rd in category at PSBO.

The party starts at noon and goes until 5PM. There will be beer, music, food and more beer. If you make it to the party, come try my beer and say hi. I'll be wearing a Mostly Harmless Brewing Co. t-shirt and I'm pretty hard to miss. ;)

FYI... this Saturday is Burnt Hickory Brewing's 2nd Anniversary party and it's going to be a BIG event.

They've got a ton of their beers pouring and they're also doing a Future Brewers of Georgia section where they invited a few homebrewers to brew one of our recipes at their brewery and serve it up at the event. I'm pretty stoked to say that I'm (along with my co-brewer, Brian Hewitt) one of the homebrewers that was invited and I'll be serving my Synesthesia Saison! My last batch of this beer took 3rd in category at PSBO.

The party starts at noon and goes until 5PM. There will be beer, music, food and more beer. If you make it to the party, come try my beer and say hi. I'll be wearing a Mostly Harmless Brewing Co. t-shirt and I'm pretty hard to miss. ;)

I will be there as well! Can't wait. Didjits is awesome.

Enjoyed meeting you guys yesterday. Great beer! Loved the Saison and the Belgian IPA I got to taste.

Kennesaw here, not far from KSU. Got a kit last year for christmas, been brewing since then. Finally got my own place, so I'm starting to brew a lot more.
Also, I brew all grain. That's what the kit was for, so I've never actually used extract.

I'm inbetween Smyrna and Mableton near a covered bridge if anyone is familiar with that area. Another notable place is I'm about a half mile from the Silver Comet trail.

And I thank you for that! I just recently started posting on there my name there is bonerkebab

Cool, glad to have you over there. We've got a solid community and it's great to see all the information everyone shares. If you're over here I'm guessing you brew as well, stay tuned on Reddit as we're trying to get another group brew day setup with one of the local breweries.

Cool, glad to have you over there. We've got a solid community and it's great to see all the information everyone shares. If you're over here I'm guessing you brew as well, stay tuned on Reddit as we're trying to get another group brew day setup with one of the local breweries.

Haha yea I brew. Def gonna look out for that then! I assume it'll still be in the atlbeer sub

Hey guys, if you're available on the 25th come out to Burnt Hickory Brewery in Kennesaw for their 3rd Anniversary party. My buddy and I brewed one of our recipes (chocolate coffee porter with raspberries) with them and will be serving it at the event as part of their Future Brewers of Georgia section. There will be some other great homebrewers there as well.

Outside of the Future Brewers of GA section BHB's open houses are always a good time, and the anniversary event is sure to be a blast.

Hey guys, if you're available on the 25th come out to Burnt Hickory Brewery in Kennesaw for their 3rd Anniversary party. My buddy and I brewed one of our recipes (chocolate coffee porter with raspberries) with them and will be serving it at the event as part of their Future Brewers of Georgia section. There will be some other great homebrewers there as well.

Outside of the Future Brewers of GA section BHB's open houses are always a good time, and the anniversary event is sure to be a blast.

damnit how did i miss this post? i went there and had your beer, which was delicious btw. i would have said hi if i had seen this.

damnit how did i miss this post? i went there and had your beer, which was delicious btw. i would have said hi if i had seen this.

Well at least you got to try the beer! I've had this happen a few times, I've "met" so many people online that we don't always know when we see each other out in the wild. Hope you had a good time at the fest. :mug:

Douglas county here, brewing first batch now. I'm usually in and around Cobb. I work there, I hang there, and the closest brew shop is there (schoolhouse beer and brewing)

Back