Dry Hop vs. Late addition, Any Difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazersgopewpew

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Just a quick question, If you where planning on dry hopping, would a late hop addition (5-0 min) of the same hop make any difference, or would it be more advisable to just not do the late addition and dry hop?

Thanks.

The wort is still hot when you add late addition hops. When dry hopping, the wort is cold. This causes one difference in flavor. Also, dry hopping is normally done after primary fermentation. This means that you have a good 14-30 days where the hop flavor has been sitting there...whereas dry hopping gives a fresh hop flavor and aroma.

Depends on a lot of things for me. What the beer is/what your goals are/etc. If making a pale with a lot of hops on hand, I'll do both. If I'm trying to conserve hops because of low supply, sometimes I'll FWH and dryhop only. It is different, but good and I get my hop fix. It does taste different though. If I'm not trying to make a traditionally hoppy beer, I'll just dryhop. I have a Belgian pale right now that I dryhopped with an ounce of Amarillo. Its pretty tasty. I'll do two onces next time though :)

Latest posts

Back