collar on lid or freezer body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
I'm researching my options for collar construction.
I have watched Bobby from NJ's videos, he put his collar on the lid and mentioned that weight can become a factor.

I see some pics of collars on the body. how do you mount them to the freezer (where do you find a safe place to drill, etc.?

I just used some silicone between the collar and body and then bot a metal plate to put on the back that attached the old lid screw holes to the collar. Then i just attached the lid to to the collar. Seems fine so far.

I'll probably go with lid mounted, keeps the beer lines, shanks, and taps up out of the way when loading or unloading kegs.

You dont have to drill holes or use brackets, I personally wouldn't risk hitting a line. I just put a bead of liquid nails around the bottom of the collar then placed it on top of the freezer, I then put a ten pound weight plate on each corner. After 3 to 4 hours, bingo you can lift the entire freezer off the floor by the collar. I then sealed the inside of the board with silicone, insulating the collar isn't necessary

Obviously I like the collared lid concept. Keeping the faucets out of the way really helps me NOT pour beer on my foot while I monkey around in the freezer cleaning up or changing out kegs.

Back