How dumb are your state/province's liquor laws?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I really want in CA is the ability for Whole Foods to do growler fills. They jut opened a new WF down the road from me with a craft beer bar, but not being a brewery I'll bet this ABC re-interpretation of growler rules doesn't allow then to do fills.

What I really want in CA is a Whole Foods with a craft beer bar.

FTFY.

Have two in nearby Roseville, as well as two Nugget Markets, a Sprouts, and a couple other similar stores. They all have a great selection of sixers and bombers (rivaling both Beverages & More and Total Wine & Spirits, which are also nearby), but I've never seen a craft bar in any of them.

I don't think anyone has chimed in for the good 'ole state of Indiana yet, so here goes. Outside of maybe Utah, we probably have the most conservative laws, most of which date back to prohibition:

1.) Absolutely NO alcohol sales in stores on Sunday (wineries, brewpubs, restaurants, etc can sell)
2.) Cold beer can only be sold in liquor stores, most of which conveniently charge more for cold vs. warm
3.) I don't think liquor stores can sell soda. Most have it available in vending machines outside the stores, but not inside.
4.) Kegs have to be tagged with a sticker that shows who purchased it...if the sticker is removed or the keg falls into possession of someone other than the purchaser, the purchaser gets in trouble.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment. Sad thing is these outdated laws were scheduled to come up for a vote in the state legislature, but the leaders decided to not even bring it up for debate/vote this year (methinks the liquor store lobby is lining some pockets).

There are all kinds of dumb-ass liquor laws but most of 'em aren't that hard to work around.

Want beer on Sunday? Well, buy some on Saturday. It ain't that hard. ;)

FTFY.

Have two in nearby Roseville, as well ........ but I've never seen a craft bar in any of them.

NorCal and Socal are separate divisions for Whole Foods so different management, and policies. The craft bars are going into a bunch of Socal stores. By getting a liquor consumption license the customers can buy beers, wines, and different foods and enjoy them in house.

I am not sure how it will work in smaller stores but the flagship in Austin TX had a liquor license and many, many food bars. So someone could order from the hot food section, someone from the raw food area, and someone else from the Sushi bar and share it with wine or beers from the store. With craft beer bars here in Socal it will be even better.

Back