All Grain Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great videos. I am prepping to do my first all grain batch sparge run. This is great tutorial to learn from!!

I just wanted to clarify one thing... I broke my sparge into two equal volumes but I could have easily accomodated the 4 gallon sparge in one batch and would have saved some time. Either way, I hit 78% efficiency which is typical of batch sparging.

Is there anyway to podcast these..?!?! or download them so I can add them to my ipod..?? I want to watch them during travel on vacation... heheheee...

I have a video converter program... just didnt know how to get the videos off of youtube, so that I could convert and add to my ipod... I'll checkout the podbean site.. that would be great if I could get them on my ipod... Thanks...

Jester

(edit...)

went back this morning and found the first video... awesome... can't wait to watch it... thanks again man...!!!!!!!!

Jester

Two questions:

I thought I heard that you shouldn't add water over 180 degrees to your grains or you'll extract tannins.

What is the purpose of bringing the mash temp up after 60 min, is it just to make the sugars less sticky and get better efficiency?

Thanks for the video, I love watching other people's brewing process.

shlap said:
Two questions:

I thought I heard that you shouldn't add water over 180 degrees to your grains or you'll extract tannins.

What is the purpose of bringing the mash temp up after 60 min, is it just to make the sugars less sticky and get better efficiency?

Thanks for the video, I love watching other people's brewing process.

It's more about what the equalized temp is after an infusion. Since the additional infusions are a small volume compared to the mash, the heat gets crushed pretty quickly under 170 (the tannin threshold).

Bringing the mash temp up at the end is called a mash out. The three reasons you might want to do it are stopping alpha amalayse enzymes in the case of fly sparging (when your runnings will sit around for a while before boiling). Another, as you suggested, is making the sugar a little more soluable. Last, it's a way to get your runnings more equal.

Let's say you want 8 gallons in the pot. If your first runnings would normally be 1.5 gallons, you'd need to sparge with 6.5. If your lauter tun can't handle 6.5 gallons, you can mash out with 2.5, drain, then do a single 4 gallon sparge.

Back