Storing Grolsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazyguitarist

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster, so here we go!

I have a wine chiller with removable racks that works perfectly as a lagering cabinet. I keep it in my utility room, which only has a small window in it. It's on the north side of the house and direct sunlight never shines through it. The wine chiller has a solid glass door, so to be extra safe, I covered the door with a blanket when I was lagering my last brew.

I recently bottled the lager in some old Grolsch bottles that I cleaned up and refitted with new gaskets. The bottles are green, so I know I have to keep them out of sunlight to avoid skunky beer. I'm thinking about putting the racks back in the chiller and storing the bottles at about 65 degrees. I had a couple of questions before I do that:

Will storing bottles sideways do anything to affect the conditioning of the beer?
The glass door on the chiller is a little opaque (not 100% clear). So, do I really need to cover the door on the chiller, since this room doesn't get direct sunlight?

The wine chiller is going to look really cool with the Grolsch bottles in it, and besides, I'm running out of room in my closet to store beer. However, I don't want to hurt my babies, so if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers! :mug:

One thing I've noticed with any of my bottles that end up on their side, if you don't want to have the yeast pour into your glass, it seems a little worse in that sense.

The yeast get agitated and tends to come out of the bottle more.

Could you put a shade on the garage window to keep UV out?

Stuff would freeze up here - the garage got well below 0 last night.

Actually, the utility room is part of the house. It's next to the kitchen and has a door and vent like any other room. So, no wild temperature swings to worry about. I think I'm going to play it safe on this one. I'm going to keep the door on the chiller covered, and I have carefully placed the bottles upright so they're not in danger of falling over or anything. Thanks!

Back