What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I rigged up my line cleaner system. Pond pump feeding into one tap and out the next, using a jumper to connect the liquid disconnects. Pump not grunty enough to do 4 lines at once but OK for two. LLC kinda tough on bare skin.

Drinking some and planning the two brews I'm going to do this weekend. Tomorrow morning will head off to the LHBS for the adjunct grains I need, then home to completely clean the brewery to be ready to start Sunday morning. Also did some lap rolling of my Roadblock Rye IPA that is force carbing so I have something to "help" me along with the cleaning tomorrow.

Drinking some and planning the two brews I'm going to do this weekend. Tomorrow morning will head off to the LHBS for the adjunct grains I need, then home to completely clean the brewery to be ready to start Sunday morning. Also did some lap rolling of my Roadblock Rye IPA that is force carbing so I have something to "help" me along with the cleaning tomorrow.

Almost exactly what I did today! Planned be two brews for the next two days, bought about 11# of mixed grains like C60 & 120, victory, biscuit, mesquite smoked malt and flaked wheat. Also got some great deals on yeast and hops that were close to expired! Made my starter for tomorrow's' brew and later will make one for Monday's...

Whew!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504389806.909464.jpg

Went to a friends house to harvest his hops. He no longer home brews but he lets me take his home grown hops. Centennials on the left. Cascades in the middle. Nuggets on the right. In the dehydrator and drying as we speak. It should net me about a full pound total when dried I predict. [emoji3]

Built the platforms for my brew stand, but ran out of wood for the uprights so will finish it tomorrow.

Got the propane tank and gave the burner a test drive; holy smokes does that sucker let out some heat. Gave the kettle and the chiller a soapy boil to clean off any leftover manufacturing oils and to get an idea of the dead space in the kettle.

Tried a bottle of the saison and the stout that I bottled last weekend. The saison is unpleasant seltzer water and the stout is green but palatable. I'll see how they are in a couple of weeks.

Brewed what will eventually be my Road Rage Raspberry porter today. Everything went great except gravity not quite where I wanted it, but it will be BEER so I don't care. Sitting in my mama chair enjoying my Rye IPA, surveying my completely clean equipment for brewing my Bump & Run Blueberry Blonde tomorrow. Nothing more to do today except fold some laundry and get happy with my beer and play with the dogs. Yay three day weekend!!!

Weighed up everything for a brew day yesterday, woke up with a sinus headache from hades today so no brew day. Pushed back to Tuesday. Have to smoke a turkey and feed guests tomorrow and brewing then would be rude.

Brewed my Blond and learned how to use my picnic tap as a bottle filler....stuck my old bottling wand into the tap and it worked great. Dammit, now I have to share bottles....

I put my first tester bottle of Mosaic Honey Wheat Ale (from this site) in the fridge this morning to try tonight.

Has only been in the bottle a week and I always tell myself not to rush the bottles... But this one tasted so promising on bottling day I can't wait to try it. Lol

Cleaned up the brewery today since the husband came home from New York trip (what's that smell honey?). I caught some sort of bug this week so cleaning went by the wayside. Mash tun was really gross. Wanted to brew tomorrow but money is tight and propane is all gone, so will have to wait until next weekend. May get some kegging done though.

Kegged the blonde I brewed last Sunday and checked the porter from Saturday, it's only down to 1.018 so was thinking of leaving it for a few more days. Then decided the heck with it and will add the raspberries today and leave it until next Saturday. They'll add a bit more sugar and the flavor is almost dead on where I want it now. Just not looking forward to blanching 2.5 pounds of raspberries and making a mess.

Managed to get a brew in while clearing my back yard of the giant limb that fell on my house earlier in the week. Just a quick cream ale, but it'll keep the pipeline healthy and I'm happy to have both fermentation chambers occupied again.

Picked up 100lbs of local grown and malted 2row grain. Gonna take a bit of experimenting with barley crusher settings. I love the idea of brewing a 100% local beer here in SW Ontario, Canada tho. Think Ill try a recipe ive used, sub in the local grain as is first.. see what happens. Then either adjust, or try something totally different, but instead of hiding the differences, highlighting them. Will be interesting. Cheers folks, keep makin crazy good beers!

Sourced four free pin lock kegs. Converted them to ball lock connectors, replaced the lids with manual PRVs and new seals. Brewed this past weekend and fermenting in 3 of the 4 new kegs. Checked the blowoff tubs and they are bubbling away like crazy in the fermentation chamber. Can't wait to see how the beer turns out with minimal oxygen exposure. I'll dry hop in the fermenting kegs, so I will have to open the lid to drop the hop canister in the fermenting keg.

Checked the cream ale I brewed sunday to see the krausen climbing the neck of the carboy. Didn't have time to switch out to a blowoff tube before work, so I turned the temp controller down to 58F to hopefully control the fermentation speed until I get back. If I could find an ideal temperature range to ferment at so I don't need a blowoff tube at 6 gallons of beer that would be pretty sweet.

After a 3 month hiatus while the GF listed her house and sold and moved into my place, I finally brewed a 5 gallon batch on Saturday night, glad to be back in the brewing game

Checked gravity on Saison... Still dropping a point each week. And brewing with homegrown fresh nugget hops as a late addition. Yum.

image.jpeg

Kegged 11 gallons of my house ale. Need to wash the fermenters tomorrow then setup to brew again on Saturday! Trying to fill my 10 keg pipeline and keep it full until Dec 1st. That should carry me close to march 1st without needing to do a big brew day.

Brewed a Nelson Sauvin Red IPA late last night, early this morning. I used some special red malts from Gladfields (Red Back and Shepheards delight), amazing colour, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Back