What light is Ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I know skunking results from UV rays messing with the beer, but what I don't know is what kind of lights do it. Obviously the sun, but I mean would a normal lamp do any damage to the beer?

I bottle in clear plastic soda bottles, and I really have no idea which bulbs emit UV and which don't. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patton

I'm not 100% positive on the science, but from what I've read around here pretty much any light bulb emits UV light. The simple solution for you would be to keep your beer in a box somewhere. I use brown bottles, but I still store in boxes.

Sunlight and flourescent light are by far the worst. Incandescent light has very little UV but why chance it? Whatever color bottles the beer is in it's never a bad idea to keep them sheilded from light.

I really don't get why people even bother with this question, storing beer in a box seems like a no brainer.. Unless you have a table somewhere where you can have 50 bottles sitting for a month or so? lol

On a serious note, sunlight would be the worst. Also blacklights are something to avoid but I doubt your house is lit by those.. Haha. I believe that most incandescent-type bulbs (glowing filament) produce very little UV. After that your guess is as good as mine but I am betting fluorescent lamps will be a little worse, and LED lights will be almost completely safe?

+1 to CnnmnSchnpps, voweless though he may be. I line a cardbord box with towels, add bottles, then top off with more towels. I haven't had a bottle bomb yet, but if/when I do, I'll be prepared.

well I asked mainly because I just lined them up in the closet, but I will go get a box in a couple days and throw a towel over it. I previously thought that it was only fluorescent, but I have no idea where I heard that.

Back