Official HBT Weight loss thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulthenurse said:
Uhhhh Melana,

it's raining and 36 degrees outside.
So what does that have to do with riding a bike? :)
Ofcourse I'm a year cycle commuter so I'm probably a little of the norm in opinion.

Craig

I guess Ill jump in on this one, SWMBO and I are trying to cut back a little as well. I figgured up our average daily intake and put us on a diet that was about 60% of that. The goal is only to lose no more than 2% of our body wieght a week, nice, slow, and healthy like. Hopefully by the end of this semester we will both be where we want to be! Just 15 more weeks and 25 more lbs to go....:drunk:

Okay: every time this subject comes up elsewhere at HBT folks are pretty unenthusiastic about it, but I wonder if people in this thread who are serious about weight loss might be interested in coming up with some good homebrew recipes for beers with great taste but fewer calories.

I know that since I've started homebrewing I've really packed on the pounds. I can't blame all of it on drinking my results, but I think a lot of it is due to that.

I remember that back in '03 I think it was, when I lost a ton of weight, one of the things I would do was to limit myself to one Amstel Light with dinner in restaurants. Problem is, I don't really like the stuff any more!

Welp, add another 2 lbs the the previous 3 i lost, so far i've lost 5lbs just in changing my eating habits alone... i think b/c i'm still young my metabolism is kinda high (i used to race bmx and was very athletic in school and in general... not to mention I had always had a physically demanding job)... i doubt that that is the case, but i'm sure it might help later down the road.

The biggest thing i've been working on is portion control, I used to eat a solid overflowing plate of food and my wife and I cook for 4 of us, even though it's just us 2 and the 1yo.

Last night I made some boneless chicken tenders with lemon and pepper, fresh green beans and steamed carrots.... it was very good and i actually had some energy last night and the wife and I took a walk around the neighborhood despite it being 20 some degrees.

I'm late with my weigh in results, I guess I forgot to post up.

So as of Sat 1/19 I'm at 251, down from 268. I sort of went off my diet today, but I was watching the Pats game and eat too much. That's ok, back on the wagon now. I should be able to be good until Saturday, then we're going to the Beer Summit. A night of beers over 7%. All bets are off for that night.

After camping in freezing weather this weekend, working to stay warm and watching what I eat, I'm down 12 pounds so far. That includes a Chili cookoff yesterday where I enjoyed some beer and good chili. Mine took the Peoples Choice award, but did not place. I call the AlGore award. :D

Well i managed to stay the same after the all day munch fest at my house yesterday.
Smoked turkey, home made pretzels and spent grain bread, and mom's apple pie... and not even a pound!

Spent grain bread? Do tell.

No progress here, from a cracking-down-on-my-habits standpoint. Sick as a m-f'in dog. Been sick since last Thurs. Temps here are in the single digit highs, so no outdoor activity for me until I can breathe again.

PseudoChef said:
You really shouldn't be measuring poundage day-to-day. 95% that's just water weight fluctuation. Try every 2 weeks or so.

+1 you will go nuts trying to way yourself everyday. Every week can kind of piss you off too. When I'm "in the zone" I do it every day because I'm a sadist :rockin: - but I only take it seriously once a week.

+1 on the every other week wiegh ins. When we have patients on a "reduced caloric intake" we recomend doing this and plotting the results. You should see a slow but steady decrease in wieght, no more that 2% per week

I don't really see a problem with daily weigh-ins as long as you understand the concept of water weight, and normal weight fluctuations. I think there's a good argument for the concept of daily weigh-ins. That is, it will give you a better picture of your overall weight. Consider this:

There are two people trying to lose weight, Person A and Person B. They are exactly the same, except Person A weighs himself daily, while person B weighs himself every Saturday morning. For the entire week, both of their weights stay constant at 170 lbs. Person A knows this from his daily weigh-ins and person B is oblivious to this fact. All is well until friday night when they both have a bit too much to drink and gain 3 pounds of water weight. The next morning, person A conducts his normal daily weigh-in and sees the 3 lb gain and chalks it up to water weight. After all, his weight was constant the entire week, and he knows this. Person B, on the other hand, conducts his weekly weigh-in and sees he's gained 3 lbs. How is person B to know this is just a water weight gain, and not some gradual increase of 3 lbs over this week? In the end, person B becomes discouraged over his water weight gain, while person A doesn't because he knows it's water weight.

So really, i can think of no scenario where a weekly weigh-in would be advantageous. It seems like it will just give you a less accurate picture of your actual weight, which is why i recommend a daily weight check.

beala said:
I don't really see a problem with daily weigh-ins as long as you understand the concept of water weight, and normal weight fluctuations. I think there's a good argument for the concept of daily weigh-ins. That is, it will give you a better picture of your overall weight. Consider this:

There are two people trying to lose weight, Person A and Person B. They are exactly the same, except Person A weighs himself daily, while person B weighs himself every Saturday morning. For the entire week, both of their weights stay constant at 170 lbs. Person A knows this from his daily weigh-ins and person B is oblivious to this fact. All is well until friday night when they both have a bit too much to drink and gain 3 pounds of water weight. The next morning, person A conducts his normal daily weigh-in and sees the 3 lb gain and chalks it up to water weight. After all, his weight was constant the entire week, and he knows this. Person B, on the other hand, conducts his weekly weigh-in and sees he's gained 3 lbs. How is person B to know this is just a water weight gain, and not some gradual increase of 3 lbs over this week? In the end, person B becomes discouraged over his water weight gain, while person A doesn't because he knows it's water weight.

So really, i can think of no scenario where a weekly weigh-in would be advantageous. It seems like it will just give you a less accurate picture of your actual weight, which is why i recommend a daily weight check.

But it can work exactly the opposite with Person A not knowing about water weight and Person B being aware of it.

But person A knows it's water weight because he knows he can't gain 3lbs of fat in 24 hours. Person B, on the other hand, doesn't know how quickly it was gained. It could have been a gradual increase of fat over 7 days. That is, person A knows it's a quick increase indicative of water weight, whereas person B does not.
The next morning, person A conducts his normal daily weigh-in and sees the 3 lb gain and chalks it up to water weight. After all, his weight was constant the entire week, and he knows this. Person B, on the other hand, conducts his weekly weigh-in and sees he's gained 3 lbs. How is person B to know this is just a water weight gain, and not some gradual increase of 3 lbs over this week?

the key is to weigh yourself the same time of day and on the same scale. After that, it seems pointless to argue about it. Just my .02.

Eastside........

p.s. In addition to weighing yourself, you should also be measuring yourself. Sometimes inches off are better than pounds down. I am down 15 pounds, but I also have lost 3" off my stomach and chest, 2" off my waste. :rockin:

Eastside Brewer said:
In addition to weighing yourself, you should also be measuring yourself. Sometimes inches off are better than pounds down.

That's really the key, especially if you are talking about small amounts of weight loss. When I was ill for a couple weeks, I didn't exercise. Well, over that same period, I didn't chane my diet accordingly. I lost quite a bit of muscle tone and volume due to lack of activity while my pants got a little tighter, and I was obviously pudgier. However, according to my scale, I lost five pounds. Once I got over my illness and back on the workout wagon, I gained those five pounds back but was obviously much fitter.

In other words, it's not so much what you weigh as what you're made of.

TL

For anyone who is serious about it enough to workout for 45min every day as well as learn about better nutrition to make yourself feel better, healthier, and lose weight/gain muscle:

Last July my girlfriend and I started the P90X thing you see in the infomercials. It is a 10 DVD/VHS set with meal plans, recipes, etc. that costs $120, or you can pirate it for free from torrent sites if that's your thing. I went from 190lb to 170lb in six weeks, I had incredible stamina, and had doubled my strength in that time. I maintained that for a year, but now we've started the program back up as of a week and a half ago. The reason we maintained for so long is because of what we learned about nutrition from the program - when to eat, what to eat, what not to eat, calories, protein, carbs, etc. - so we no longer gorge ourselves on food that's delicious but bad. We'll still eat whatever we want, but limit the amount if it's really bad and add something full of protein like a steak or a protein shake.

You do a different workout ever day, and the only thing you absolutely MUST have are workout bands. Bianca uses the bands while I use dumbbells and a pull up bar that grabs onto a doorway when in use.

So, if you're serious and want to feel effing amazing in just 90 days, I highly recommend P90X. The thing about it is that you don't have to be able to do what the strongest people in the video are doing. Sometimes I can only do less than half of the workout, but I'm working out hard the whole time. You get to workout at your own pace, and as long as you really do keep your heart rate up and push play on that DVD player every day and learn to eat right (which you should do anyway if you don't want to die young and fat), you will absolutely see huge results.

I'm 100% serious that it works BETTER than they say it does. And it's actually fun to do - the workouts are different every day, and you see huge results after just the first 6 weeks.

TexLaw said:
That's really the key, especially if you are talking about small amounts of weight loss. When I was ill for a couple weeks, I didn't exercise. Well, over that same period, I didn't chane my diet accordingly. I lost quite a bit of muscle tone and volume due to lack of activity while my pants got a little tighter, and I was obviously pudgier. However, according to my scale, I lost five pounds. Once I got over my illness and back on the workout wagon, I gained those five pounds back but was obviously much fitter.

In other words, it's not so much what you weigh as what you're made of.

TL

Very good point. Thanks for putting it out there.

NitrouStang96 said:
For anyone who is serious about it enough to workout for 45min every day as well as learn about better nutrition to make yourself feel better, healthier, and lose weight/gain muscle:

Last July my girlfriend and I started the P90X thing you see in the infomercials. It is a 10 DVD/VHS set with meal plans, recipes, etc. that costs $120, or you can pirate it for free from torrent sites if that's your thing. I went from 190lb to 170lb in six weeks, I had incredible stamina, and had doubled my strength in that time. I maintained that for a year, but now we've started the program back up as of a week and a half ago. The reason we maintained for so long is because of what we learned about nutrition from the program - when to eat, what to eat, what not to eat, calories, protein, carbs, etc. - so we no longer gorge ourselves on food that's delicious but bad. We'll still eat whatever we want, but limit the amount if it's really bad and add something full of protein like a steak or a protein shake.

You do a different workout ever day, and the only thing you absolutely MUST have are workout bands. Bianca uses the bands while I use dumbbells and a pull up bar that grabs onto a doorway when in use.

So, if you're serious and want to feel effing amazing in just 90 days, I highly recommend P90X. The thing about it is that you don't have to be able to do what the strongest people in the video are doing. Sometimes I can only do less than half of the workout, but I'm working out hard the whole time. You get to workout at your own pace, and as long as you really do keep your heart rate up and push play on that DVD player every day and learn to eat right (which you should do anyway if you don't want to die young and fat), you will absolutely see huge results.

I'm 100% serious that it works BETTER than they say it does. And it's actually fun to do - the workouts are different every day, and you see huge results after just the first 6 weeks.

I saw that program on an infomercial at like 2:30 am the other day. It looked really awesome, but it seemed geared toward people who were already pretty much in shape. Do you think it would be a good program for someone considerable overweight, like 6'2" 278 lbs??

Yes, because the key is this (and they state it over and over in the workouts): "Do your best, and forget the rest."

Basically, even if you can't keep up (I still haven't done one of the weights DVDs from start to finish 100%), just do what you can because you're still burning those calories and getting a workout.

Case in point: When we're doing a workout that has some cardio in it and we can't keep up because we're out of breath, that's fine. We're still burning just as many calories as the people in the video are. As we get more and more in shape, we are able to do more and more of the workout but we burn less calories because we need to work harder.

So... as long as you are working along with the videos, you'll get HUGE benefits from them even if you can't keep up. I highly recommend learning their nutritional teachings - changed the way I'll eat for the rest of my life.

It's really, really fun, too! And they have forums online.

Been excercising every day, watching what I eat & drink and am down to 284 from 300 since the first of the year. I figure 10 lbs are bloat and 6 lbs are real weight loss (fat) so far. Shirts & pants aren't so tight anymore and I feel much better.

bobjenkins79 said:
I saw that program on an infomercial at like 2:30 am the other day. It looked really awesome, but it seemed geared toward people who were already pretty much in shape. Do you think it would be a good program for someone considerable overweight, like 6'2" 278 lbs??

There is also a second series from the same people, really the FIRST series, the second is P90X (Power 90 eXtreme), the first was Power 90. You can find out more about them at http://www.beachbody.com. You start with Power 90, and then move on to P90X.

My sister-in-law has the first series and really liked them.

Missed my Saturday weigh in again. I was at 251 then. Have been pretty much eating whatever for the past few days, but I'm back to work tomorrow after a week off and so I'm back on the horse. Beer Summit on Saturday night wasn't a help at all, but WTH, it was worth it. I wonder if the Duck Tongues and Frogs Legs we had in Chinatown afterwards were diet friendly?

PTN

Duck tongues?????

I could eat frog legs all day long. Only part I don't like is cleaning them. That is truly a smell all its own. Gigging them is a blast.:rockin:

Started at 230lbs about 4 weeks ago.

Now 242lbs with about 2" off my waist. Im gonna continue this until I am 235 by the end of April.

weighed in at 243lbs.

current weight is 237lbs

6lbs lost so far just by maintaining a healthy eatting habit and making sure i drink plenty of water and try to be more active at work (rather than sit at my desk all day, I get up every-so-often and walk around).

Wow. Is that for real? Do you think it actually would make improvement?

I gotta think about this. I could sit in a chair all day. *looks down at chair* CRAP! I'm already in one!

So I've been in the overweight category most of my life, and over the last summer I happened across a system that seems to work pretty well for me. It relies on two basic concepts: basic calorie counting and laziness. Yes, laziness.

My breakfast usually is either a couple hard-boiled eggs or a couple generic Nutri-grain bars. Pretty low cal and gets me out the door for a few hours.

Lunch is my weak point; as a student I have very limited options, so I often have to grab something pretty "not healthy" like a few slices of pizza or a chicken quesadilla on campus. But I make sure to note just how much I'm eating, calorie wise.

For dinner, this is where laziness comes in. I really don't mind cooking nice meals if I'm eating with other people, but living by myself I usually don't have that motivation. So I'll usually eat whatever I have available. Most of the time it's either a can of low cal soup, or triscuits and cheese, the stuff of the gods. Seriously, 300 calories of (combined) triscuits and cheese is actually pretty darn filling, and stays with you for a while, with the whole grain, fat and protein. Cracked pepper and olive oil has to be the best variety, with a little bit of cheddar on top. Yummm. It's very important to eat in controlled portions, and then put the rest of the food away. If I wanna eat more, I've gotta convince myself that I need to go get more food. Usually I'm able to convince myself that perhaps I'm not so hungry after all, and after giving the food a chance to settle, that usually is the case.

All told, that's 240 cals for breakfast, ~500 cals for lunch, and ~500 cals for dinner. Depending on the size of the lunch I can alot myself a snack before dinner. I target 1500 calories a day.

Overall, there's 3 points where I get other people riled up when I explain my usual diet:
1. I do not mind eating fat as long as I stay full for a long period of time. Seriously, whether I eat a 500 calorie, fat heavy meal and stay full for 5 hours or east 2 250 cal meals in the same time doesn't make a lick of difference to me. But if I do eat a fatty meal, I make sure that I don't eat for the # cals/100 hours. What is really important (in my mind) is avoiding the simple carbs, as those just dissolve on contact with your gastrointestinal tract.

2. I'll eat fruits (I usually have apples and grapes on hand for easy, grab 'n go snacks. Remember, laziness is key!), but I'm really not a fan of vegetables. I completely agree that I should be eating more of the green things, but I'm only just recently getting past my "really picky as a kid" phase and they tend to involve a fair amount of prep.

3. I. Hate. Exercise. Sure, I walk probably half a mile a day, including up and down a 30 ft hill, and at work twice a week I'm speed walking for two hours, but I absolutely hate exercising for the sake of exercising. I know all these people out there absolutely love their runner's high, but believe you me I never in my life feel worse than after a run.

I'm open to suggestions for help with getting more veggies and exercise in.

My progress:
Start of summer 2007: 255 lbs
Start of fall term 2007:230 lbs
Immediately before Winter break: 211
Immediately following winter break: 220 (not sure how that happened;I so totally did not eat 5000 calories a day, which is what the math about works out to.)
Now: about 215.

At keeping an intake of 1500 cals, I'm losing about one pound a week.

I weighed in on 1-05-08 at 280 lbs., I did fat flush for 3weeks, just took one week off, including today, Super Bowl (Ouch)! I am holding steady at 262 lbs. Just 62 more to go.

Eastside

WELL WELL! GUESS WHO GOT SOME NEW FIRE PANTS?!

I was getting my fire gear last night when I noticed the pants I had were a tad too big... so I stepped down a size :D

Also my regular jeans have been falling off my arse since I've been on this diet, had to take the belt in a notch or two recently... the funny thing is I don't really feel like I'm really loosing all the much weight.

Not much new here... I've been hovering around 230ish.... started at 241lbs.

Well, I've gotten nowhere so far. 4 months to the wedding, and SWMBO and I haven't lifted a finger. BUT I start my new job on Thursday, and (in theory) life becomes calm and uneventful after that.

248 lbs, so at least I'm maintaining, not gaining.

Have started replacing meals with healthy snacks, like Clif bars or sunflower seeds or dried apricots... And have started eating less at meals.... In dire want of exercise though. I wish it would warm up so I could get outside.

Start weight: 300#
Today's weight 278#

Pants are not so tight any more. It's amazing what cutting back beer during the week does when combined with sensible eating & exercise.

Went to the gym earlier today and weighed after, i believe i started this thing at about 200 to 205 today i came in at a nice 191.5lbs. And in the imortal words of Homer J. Simpson "WOOHOO!!!" :rockin:

sd

Back