transfer wort to carbouy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeazlie

Reaction score
I use gravity to get the hot wort through my counterflow chiller into the carbouy. The boil kettle is about 30 in off the ground and my tubing is 5/8 ID. It takes FOREVER to get the wort into the carbouy. What can I do to make it go quicker. It just seem to dribble out in a small stream. i've tried raising the kettle, but I can only get it so high and another 6in or so did not make a lot of difference. Could there be too much resistance in the chiller. How about bigger diameter lines? Or do I just need to be patient. Physics was never my strong point.

I have my kettle on the counter and the intake of my chiller is at the level of the counter. My kettle drains through my 3/8 OD chiller in 20 minutes. You have tons of capacity in the pipe so I think height or a pump are your only options (barring any bottlenecks in the pipe you haven't mentioned).

Here is a picture in case that babbling didn't make any sense. :)

counterflowchiller_small.jpg

Back