Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about trying this recipe but I have some WLP 550 lying around. Has anyone tried this? This will be my first attempt at a saison.

The yeast entirely makes or breaks a saison. WLP550 would be a better choice than other typical belgian yeasts like 530 and 500, but still wouldnt have the high degree of attenuation and saison-ish yeast esters which you would want. It won;t be bad, it just wont be a saison. Itll be a belgian blonde ale

The yeast entirely makes or breaks a saison. WLP550 would be a better choice than other typical belgian yeasts like 530 and 500, but still wouldnt have the high degree of attenuation and saison-ish yeast esters which you would want. It won;t be bad, it just wont be a saison. Itll be a belgian blonde ale

Okay thank you for the reply. I have never worked with belgian strains before. What if I ferment it on the higher end of the range? Say 74-75?

Just brewed this last night. Only substitution was a light candy syrup .5 instead of candy sugar. The OG was 17 brix which is right around where i wanted it. Smelled great going into the bucket and can't wait for couple weeks to keg!

Okay thank you for the reply. I have never worked with belgian strains before. What if I ferment it on the higher end of the range? Say 74-75?

IME, any belgian yeast can easily go into the 80s without issue. They key it starting it low (below 70). For regular belgian yeast, I let htem free rise while insulated with a winter coat. They usually get to around 80F

For ANY saison yeast, ill push it into the 90s

This looks like a great beer for a hot summer brew. Matches up with some of the bulk ingredients I already have. I think this will be my next one. Thanks for sharing!

IME, any belgian yeast can easily go into the 80s without issue. They key it starting it low (below 70). For regular belgian yeast, I let htem free rise while insulated with a winter coat. They usually get to around 80F

For ANY saison yeast, ill push it into the 90s

I've read that Belle saison does not do well above 90. I haven't used it myself, but was thinking of using it to speed up a saison with 3724 I have going.

I've read that Belle saison does not do well above 90. I haven't used it myself, but was thinking of using it to speed up a saison with 3724 I have going.

Just dont start fermentation up there or let it wildly swing up and down. I have heard account of people just saying screw it, pitching at lik 90F and just letting it go without issues. But I would always advocate using reasonable pitching temps

Brewed my first non-kit all grain recipe based on this one today.

A few changes based on the ingredients I had on hand

- subbed Ger Pils for Bel Pils
- 1 oz Saaz instead of 1.5 oz
- yeast - WLP 568

Otherwise, brewed to recipe. OG 1.063. Smelled amazing going into primary. Starting this one around 65 and ramping up to 80 over the next 48 hrs.

After getting into a bottle of this a couple of days early, I can attest that it is, in fact, amazing. Great recipe!

Without having to read thru 280+ responses to see if it has been asked already....Is the acid malt for water treatment only?

Nevermind....scrolled thru a couple of pages and found my assumption to be true

For anyone that used Belle Saison yeast, did you just direct pitch it (1 pack / 5 gallons)? Or did you rehydrate or make a starter or something?

I used Belle Saison. I believe I hydrated the yeast before adding, but I can't remember. I did harvest the slurry and use it in another saison. That one came out great also.
Both Saisons finished good enough that I entered them into the Michigan Beer Cup.

I rehydrated and it became a beast. Brought my batch of NB saison from 1.05 to .996. Awesome tasting beer.

I re hydrated mine because what it said on the packaging but i have sprinkled other dry yeast on top before like US05. The Bell Saison yeast foamed up quickly and I think i should have used a bigger bowl to hold i all in while dehydrating. After i just dumped it in and saw almost immediate results in the bucket.

I agree with mgregg that it was a beast. I used candy syrup on my last batch and went from 1075 to 1004. Very nice but i feel i should have tested earlier than 2 weeks and kegged it at 1006 or 7 to add a bit of sweetness. The stuff works hard and fast. Lots of booze and peppery!

Wanting to brew this recipe this weekend but Wyeast told me they have no plans to release 3726 this year. Any idea of a decent substitute? Was thinking a 2:1 3724 to 3711 mix, or even pitcing 3724 first and then throwing a smack pack of 3711 a few days after fermentation starts. I have full temp control so not as worried about 3724 stalling as some. What's the best ferm schedule for it - pitching temp and ramp temp?

Wanting to brew this recipe this weekend but Wyeast told me they have no plans to release 3726 this year. Any idea of a decent substitute? Was thinking a 2:1 3724 to 3711 mix, or even pitcing 3724 first and then throwing a smack pack of 3711 a few days after fermentation starts. I have full temp control so not as worried about 3724 stalling as some. What's the best ferm schedule for it - pitching temp and ramp temp?

I used 3724 before, and it took 8 weeks to get down to 1.018 (still not done) before I said screw it and kegged anyway. It eventually finished in the keg over the next two months (and even naturally carbed, yeah!).

FWIW I had full temp control going too. Pitched at 68°F, let free rise over the next day to about 76°F, then ramped up to 90°F over the next 3 days and let it sit there for the next 7 weeks. It obviously still stalled on me. So don't think that just because you have temp control will mean it won't stall on you.

But yes I'd say using 3711 to clean up is a good idea. I'm using Belle on this brew this weekend.

Bottled my batch of this today. Looking forward to trying this in another month now that it had bulk aged for a month.

Has the original recipe requirement of 1/2 oz crushed coriander been discussed? I brewed it with just over 1/4 oz and the coriander flavor is way prominent.

One of the earlier posts by LoloMT7 said he eliminated the coriander completely on the batch he scored 50/50 on.

I brewed this 10 days ago and didn't use coriander.

9 days into fermentation on my first try at this. Pitched 3724 @68° 13hrs later vigorous fermentation and went ahead and ramped to 90° and have kept it there since, has slowed down a bit but still chugging along. May drop back down to ambient in a few days and check gravity and see where it's at.

I didn't think the coriander stood out too much but i used a bottle and rolled it over two paper plates so i didn't get a fine crush. Maybe if they were a finer crush i would have had the same results.

I'm thinking of making sort of a tart and citrusy saison using this recipe as a base. My first thought it to up the acid malt to 10% of the grain bill and then dry hop it with some citra towards the end of fermentation. Any ideas? Is this going to turn out horribly?

One of the earlier posts by LoloMT7 said he eliminated the coriander completely on the batch he scored 50/50 on.

I brewed this 10 days ago and didn't use coriander.
How did yours turn out Matt? Yup I've always skipped the coriander.

It was great. 9.1% abv. We served it at a beer fest here in New Orleans, it was the 2nd (of 8) kegs to kick (first was a blood orange wit). Went with the Motueka for the late additions, and dry hopped with an oz of Mosaic.

It was super good. Fermented from 1.070 to 1.000 like a champ. You'd never know it was 9.1% though, it was really smooth and a lovely saison aroma going on. I plan to make this again soon so I can enjoy it. I'll probably double the dry-hop amount I think.

Kegged this up about a month ago. Turned out great.
Going to brew up a Brett version. Mash a little higher and drop the sugar. Using Belle saison yeast and Brett bottle dregs.
Should turn out good.

Brewed a batch today sticking to the OP's recipe with the exception of yeast.

LHBS does not carry 3726, so I used Belle Saison pitched directly from the package.
Less than 6 hours in the fermenter @ 72* and this thing is going nuts already.

Plan to up the temperature about 2* per day until around 90* to finish off.

Looking forward to trying this one.

What would be a good substitute in this recipe for the Williamette?
I have EK goldings, cascade, hallertau and lots more saaz

Brewed this today, rounded up the numbers so it was easier to weigh
9lbs pils
3 lbs wheat
0.5lb vienna

Left out the candi sugar so its not as strong
Used belle saison yeast slurry from a previous batch

I used Saaz and EK Goldings...it will taste different for sure but I ran out of time to get anything else

OG: 1.059

Brewed a batch today sticking to the OP's recipe with the exception of yeast.

LHBS does not carry 3726, so I used Belle Saison pitched directly from the package.
Less than 6 hours in the fermenter @ 72* and this thing is going nuts already.

Plan to up the temperature about 2* per day until around 90* to finish off.

Looking forward to trying this one.

I brewed my 2nd batch of this yesterday, and also used Belle Saison yeast (both times). Although I always rehydrate as per the instructions.

My suggestion is to let the wort temp free rise as it likes. Just cut power completely to your ferm chamber and let the wort dictate the temp. Last time, I pitched at 68°F, held there for about 18 hours (until I saw activity....which could have been sooner but I was at work), and then cut power to my chest freezer. Here's my notes on the temp thereafter:

At 26 hours, 72°F.
At 36 hours, 76°F.
At 48 hours, 78°F.
At 72 hours, 80°F, still bubbling nicely.
At 100 hours, 82°F, little signs of activity though nice krausen remains.
At 120 hours, 80°F.
After 2 weeks, pulled carboy and set at room temp for another 2 weeks, then dry hopped 2oz Mosaic for 5 days; cold crashed @ 34°F for 36 hours.

It turned out absolutely fantastic. One of the best beers I've brewed (top 5 for sure). Belle yeast brought it from 1.070 to 1.000 (9.1%), but you'd never know by drinking it.

Cheers.

I brewed my 2nd batch of this yesterday, and also used Belle Saison yeast (both times). Although I always rehydrate as per the instructions.

My suggestion is to let the wort temp free rise as it likes. Just cut power completely to your ferm chamber and let the wort dictate the temp. Last time, I pitched at 68°F, held there for about 18 hours (until I saw activity....which could have been sooner but I was at work), and then cut power to my chest freezer. Here's my notes on the temp thereafter:

At 26 hours, 72°F.
At 36 hours, 76°F.
At 48 hours, 78°F.
At 72 hours, 80°F, still bubbling nicely.
At 100 hours, 82°F, little signs of activity though nice krausen remains.
At 120 hours, 80°F.
After 2 weeks, pulled carboy and set at room temp for another 2 weeks, then dry hopped 2oz Mosaic for 5 days; cold crashed @ 34°F for 36 hours.

It turned out absolutely fantastic. One of the best beers I've brewed (top 5 for sure). Belle yeast brought it from 1.070 to 1.000 (9.1%), but you'd never know by drinking it.

Cheers.

So about 4 days you dont see anymore activity? I brewed with the belle saison as well and I delayed the temperature ramp up (48hours in from 68F), but I'm seeing no activity now...I pitched on Monday. Not sure what temperature to ramp up to if there is no activity when I started :confused:

Yeah, I'm guessing there was probably a few more points to drop, but the main activity had stopped. I have a batch in the ferm chamber right now from Sunday, so 5 days, and it's been pretty slow since yesterday. Looks done fermentation-wise, but I'm going to keep it in there in the high 70's for another week or so, and then let it age at room temp for another week or two before dry hopping.

Here are the monitored temps this time (again, all free-rise, no heat or cooling source):

Code:
Pitched rehydrated yeast into 67°F wort.  Held at 67-68°F for 20 hours, then cut temp control.
Temp at 24 hours was 69°F.
At 27 hours, 71°F.  
At 36 hours, 73°F.   
At 45 hours, 76°F.
At 60 hours, 77°F.
At 69 hours, 79°F.
At 72 hours, 80°F.
At 80 hours, 80°F.
At 92 hours, 79°F.
At 116 hours, 79°F.

Back