Wyeast suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
Anyone have any Wyeast suggestions for an Oatmeal Stout brewing 10 gallons tommorow. Was thinking of using 04 but I wanna go with liquid

I like 1469 West Yorkshire Ale for my porter. I'm guessing it would be just as good in a stout. It flocculates really well, and gives a slight bit of fruityness.

But if you are doing 10 gallons, you're either going to have to buy multiple smack packs or find a flux capacitor and a stretch of highway where you can hit 88 mph without getting pulled over, because a starter isn't going to be very productive by tomorrow. Otherwise, you'll be under-pitching.

Agree with signpost. Planning liquid yeast a day before on 10 gallons isn't the smartest idea unless you're willing to shell out the cash for multiple packs.

Well brew day got pushed back to next week! So I am thinking if making a starter,but I've never made one. I got a pretty good idea of what to do how big if a starter should I do for 10 gal? Going to split into 2 carboys

Well brew day got pushed back to next week! So I am thinking if making a starter,but I've never made one. I got a pretty good idea of what to do how big if a starter should I do for 10 gal? Going to split into 2 carboys

see mrmalty.com

Or yeastcalc.com

I might get crucified for this, but just about any size starter we'll get the job done. Either of those calculators might tell you to do a huge 3L or 4L starter for a 10 gallon batch. Although a huge starter might be ideal for that size batch, you can probably get away with doing a smaller one.

I love Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) for my oatmeal stout. It's perfect, as it gives a rich (even luscious) mouthfeel, but the beer isn't underattenuated. It really enhances the silkiness of the oats in my opinion.

Four packages for 10 gallons is probably enough, but I'd check mrmalty.com. Or 2 2 liter starters.

I love Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) for my oatmeal stout. It's perfect, as it gives a rich (even luscious) mouthfeel, but the beer isn't underattenuated. It really enhances the silkiness of the oats in my opinion.

Four packages for 10 gallons is probably enough, but I'd check mrmalty.com. Or 2 2 liter starters.

Thanks! I was gonna mention that, but...you know....

Two, 2l starters? Do u own stock in an Erlenmeyer company, or is there an easier way to house the starters? :) I'm curious, what do u keep your starters in? Do you do two separate starters often, or step them up? Stirplates as well, or just a shake? Yooper, I respect your knowledge and you seem to have a good system going on so I am curious as to your approach here.

Two, 2l starters? Do u own stock in an Erlenmeyer company, or is there an easier way to house the starters? :) I'm curious, what do u keep your starters in? Do you do two separate starters often, or step them up? Stirplates as well, or just a shake? Yooper, I respect your knowledge and you seem to have a good system going on so I am curious as to your approach here.

Well, for me, it's easier to do two five gallon fermenters, since I can't lift 10 gallons. So, I'd do one starter in one flask, and one in another, and pitch one in each fermenter.

But certainly it can be combined if someone is doing this in one fermenter, as in a conical or something!

I do five gallon batches, but am interested in the logistics of scaling up. Do you have two stir plates and flasks? Is this standard practice? Do you typically buy two vials/packs when running starters for a 10 gallon batch, or step up one vial/pack and split it between two fermenters?

I'd vote for Irish Ale, but any liquid yeast should be ramped up with a starter, and there's clearly no time left for that. Curious what the OP went with.

Probably gonna go with Yoopers suggestion for 1450. Gonna brew this Saturday after I take the kids to the pumpkin patch. Think if I make the starter Wednesday night will be ok for Saturday?

Exactly! Was gonna make his recipe but just went with rounded numbers! And he's a packer fan! Lol! My bears are in trouble today!

Exactly! Was gonna make his recipe but just went with rounded numbers! And he's a packer fan! Lol! My bears are in trouble today!

Her recipe. And she's a packer fan.

You'll need a big mason jar.

+1

No mason jar I've seen can hold a 2L yeast starter. Most people use 2L (or bigger) Erlenmeyer flasks. But if you have one of those big pickle jars or an apple juice jug or something like that, you'll be fine (depending on the volume of starter one of those calculators tells you to make).

Her recipe. And she's a packer fan.

+1

No mason jar I've seen can hold a 2L yeast starter. Most people use 2L (or bigger) Erlenmeyer flasks. But if you have one of those big pickle jars or an apple juice jug or something like that, you'll be fine (depending on the volume of starter one of those calculators tells you to make).

Yes, I'm a Packer fan for sure!

A 2L starter for a 5 gallon batch is usually a minimum, and sometimes it should be larger based on the OG.

I almost always do 10 gallon batches, and sometimes I'll use one type of yeast for one 5 gallon fermenter, and another one for the other. I can't lift 11 gallons of beer, so I use two different fermenters anyway so I put 5.5 gallons in each one and then use a starter for each.

A mason jar is usually a quart, although they do come bigger I'd imagine. If I didn't have a flask, I'd use a growler, or a gallon jug, or even a small carboy, to make the starter. A mason jar is probably way too small.

Back