temperature regulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBeer

Reaction score
When cooking on a stove top, what's the way you all regulate the temperature of the water/wort best?

Bring to a boil, then I know it is at or close to 212f. When it gets to a boil I drop the temps back to a rolling boil.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question.

Boiling is the easy part, it's steeping the grains at 158 or so for 30 minutes (and that sort of thing) that I'm wondering about.........I guess it's just add or subtract heat as necessary.

I've heard of people using their ovens, but mine is limited to 170F as its lowest setting.

If you got it up to your steeping temp while warming your oven up to it's lowest setting, then turn everything off, put the pot in the oven just to prevent heat loss. It may raise a degree or 2 but that barely matters in mashing let alone steeping grain.

if steeping, just place a thermometer in the water and adjust the burner accordingly. Gas is the easiest to adjust, electric is a PITFA because the coils stay hot even after you turn off the burner.

If I had an electric burner, I would be shopping for a propane setup before I brewed again.

Steeping temperature isn't very critical. Anything between 150F-170F is fine. Unlike mashing, all you are doing in a steep is dissolving existing sugars and flavors.

Yeah, bring it up to the mid 150's then put the burner on as low as it will go. As long as you have more than 2 gals in the pot, it shouldn't break 160. It helps to have a nice remote probe thermometer with a temperature alarm you can set to 165 just so you can save it if the temp creeps too high.

Mikey said:
Use a well insulated vessel and leave it alone.

A small cooler will do. Preheat it with some hot water, add some 160 degree water and drop in your grain bag. Wait 30 minutes or whatever your steep time and you are good to go. Just pour it into your kettle.

Back