Second batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
Alright, so I started my second batch today, decided to go with the coopers again, but this time I am going with the lager. My question is foam. My carboy is glass and is only 5 gallon. The guy at the store told me I need a 6 gallon to brew 5 gallons of beer, that way I wouldn't have to worry about the foam. Unfortunately I do not have the money for a 6 gallon glass carboy so I will have to stick with the 5 gallon. Anyways, this time I around I bought a splitter from the store, so I can have the foam run through the hose, and have the air locker on there at the same time. The only problem is that the foam is still coming up through the air locker. So I decided to put the rubber cap on where the air lock was, and have the foam hose dump out into a pot. Is there going to be any problem with this setup?

Here is a picture of the previous brew setup.
homebrew_foam.jpg

And here is what I have setup currently.
DSCN1546.jpg

Is there going to be any problems with this setup, and when should I remove the pot and put the air locker back on?

cheers
-ipatch

Looks good. You can put the airlock on and cap the other end when stuff stops coming through the blow off hose.

That is called a blow off hose, made for the exact issue you have. You can leave the blow hose attached until you move your beer to secondary or bottle, or you can remove it when the krausen "foam" recedes.

A bigger issue you may have though is your fermentation temps. Exactly what yeast are you using, we will need a good description or "model #", and what temp are you fermenting at.
Lagers are supposed to be fermented at around 50F degrees.

That is called a blow off hose, made for the exact issue you have. You can leave the blow hose attached until you move your beer to secondary or bottle, or you can remove it when the krausen "foam" recedes.

A bigger issue you may have though is your fermentation temps. Exactly what yeast are you using, we will need a good description or "model #", and what temp are you fermenting at.
Lagers are supposed to be fermented at around 50F degrees.

thanks for the super quick replies, and help. Since this is a cooper's, it is a ale, even though it says lager on the can. I know that seems confusing, but that is what the guy at the store told me.

cheers

Seeing as how you are in Texas, the way beer is classified down there is different. Check this out

Also, the setup you have looks good. I run a blowoff for at least the first couple days so I don't have to worry about fidgeting with the setup or cleaning up anything that has bubbled over. Some batches need it, others don't.

Back