This relay work for element power switch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see a current rating for the contacts on that relay. Until you know that rating, you really can't make a decision to purchase.

@fingling5, it’s ok, we all make mistakes but a common and layman observation in this case is to see the gauge of the wire and see if the wire used in the coils can handle that much current. As evident from the image in the picture, the coil cannot support a wattage of 5500W. Also, it has 8 connections and all of them combined can’t handle that much current either so we can just assume that this relay won’t come nearly close to the specification required. This way, just be observing an electronic component, we can estimate how much power it can handle. The exact current or voltage rating can be seen in datasheet later.

@fingling5, it’s ok, we all make mistakes but a common and layman observation in this case is to see the gauge of the wire and see if the wire used in the coils can handle that much current. As evident from the image in the picture, the coil cannot support a wattage of 5500W. Also, it has 8 connections and all of them combined can’t handle that much current either so we can just assume that this relay won’t come nearly close to the specification required. This way, just be observing an electronic component, we can estimate how much power it can handle. The exact current or voltage rating can be seen in datasheet later.

The coil winding doesn't carry the load (i.e., element current). The armature does. The coil winding will be very small gauge wire. If I've misunderstood you, forgive me.

The coil is a solenoid that pulls the moving part of the armature. The coil at 110VAC won't draw much current... probably 25mA or less. Very small gauge wire could be used.

Back