3-gallon batches and ingredients shopping..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I am very tempted to *start* brewing... and do so with 3-gallon batch sizes

However, I am puzzled by the ingredients shopping/storing:

-- should I buy (small) bulk amounts, as opposed to pre-kitted sets, so I can measure as needed for 3-gal ?

-- What about storage issues with the now opened bulk ingredients packaging?

Note that I did read up here about 3 gal. batch issues, and the common remark by some to stick with the 5 gal. batch size, but I do not see myself drink that much, overall, and would rather have, say, 3 styles going in house...

5 gallons is only about 2 cases of beer. I would recommend going with the 5 gallon batch so it is much easier to buy kits and do recipes. Give a few to some friends if you think you have too much. Remember, it takes at least 4-5 weeks for a beer to be ready to drink ---two cases in 5 weeks don't last in my house.

- How often?

Once a month, maybe??

Ideally I would like to have a smallish quantity of each of three styles on hand, for me and a good neighbor of mine.
I do drink red wine too... and some of my good friends worthy of a shared brew are out of state...

- Method?

Extract
Full boil if going with 3 gal, otherwise partial boil

Cheers

Ingredients are cheaper the more you buy.

All grain is cheaper than extract.

Extract takes less time than all-grain.

All-grain requires a little more equipment.

3 gallons takes the same amount of time as 5 gallons

It's all up to you...

Brewsmith said:
3 gallons takes the same amount of time as 5 gallons

And 10 gallons takes the same amount of time as 5 gallons. :D I recommend brewing as big as your equipment can take you, without sacrificing quality of course. The partial/full boil issue can have a significant impact on quality.

My philosophy is that I would much rather have a single case of awesome beer than two cases of mediocre beer, but that's just me.

Back