How to strain out hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
My IPA has been in the secondary for a couple weeks now, and there are still many bits of hops lingering around near the top of the beer. Early on, I tried giving the carboy a gentle swirl a couple times, but that wasn't working and it was just preventing the beer from clearing so I gave up on it, hoping the bits would settle out on their own. But no, they are just hovering there beneath the surface, taunting me!

I'm wondering how to strain out the hops when I rack to the bottling bucket. I think that I could use a fine mesh strainer as I siphon, but I'm concerned about aerating the beer to much if I do that. Any suggestions?

Forget about them. The racking cane goes below that level anyway. :D

Next time you're in a HB store look for the nylon net that fits over a bucket and put that on the bucket prior to pouring in your wort. Be sure to use 6 clothes pins to keep it on. If you don't the net and contents will fall in with a great splash...trust me on this one... ;)

If they were sitting on the surface, it would be fine since I could just rack out 99% of the beer and leave that last bit behind. But they are suspended in the beer, all throughout the top few inches. Other than those bits, the beer has cleared quite well and I'm happy with the way it looks. I'd just hate to have little chunks of stuff in the beer making people paranoid. :(

I'll try to find the nylon cloth at the LHBS. That might do the trick w/o stirring up and aerating the beer too much. Actually I'm thinking I could just line the bottling bucket w/ the cloth and let it serve as a "false bottom" to filter out the hops as I bottle.

I you have a hop bag attach it to the end of the siphon hose when you transfer to the bottling bucket. It works reasonably well.

Latest posts

Back