starting yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice or tips on starting yeast? My kit (ESB from NB) came with a smack pack, but I'd like to take it one step further.

I don't have an erlenmeyer flask or a spare air lock, so what else would work?

I've read to use dry malt extract in the starter. Would this come from the ingredients for the recipe, or do I need additional DME? And how much? If it's additional DME should it be the same as is called for in the recipe?

How long do I let the yeast grow before it gets pitched?

Anything else you can add will also be greatly appreciated....

I've used a Nalgene Bottle. You could try using some other kind of bottle, thoroughly sanitized and with a cap.

I brew cider, so the specifics relating to beer brewing (use of DME, etc.) will need to be answered by someone else.

Just heat (or boil or however you beer people do that) and pour it into the bottle after it cools, which you can do by placing your kettle in a ice water bath and stirring.

Tighten the cap and shake vigorously, then loosen the cap to allow the co2 to escape and allow it to sit in a warm place overnight. I usually give it 24 hours.

ALPS said:
Anyone have any advice or tips on starting yeast? My kit (ESB from NB) came with a smack pack, but I'd like to take it one step further.

A quart canning jar, measuring cup or any glass container that can stand boiling water and you can cover with a cloth dipped in sanitizer (not bleach!).

ALPS said:
I've read to use dry malt extract in the starter. Would this come from the ingredients for the recipe, or do I need additional DME? And how much? If it's additional DME should it be the same as is called for in the recipe?

Use 1oz from your recipe in a pint of water, the idea is to get the yeast going on the same sugars you will be fermenting. Some yeast food is also a good idea.

ALPS said:

Doubling times for yeasts are around 2 hours, so give it at least 8 hours. Smake the pack the morning before you brew and put it into the starter that evening.

ALPS said:

There are several threads on that around...one of them is here .

Aside from a flask, you could use a half gallon jug, a quart jar, or something like that...just make sure whatever you use is clean and sanitized. Cover with a piece of sanitized aluminum foil if you don't have a airlock.

You could use some DME from your recipe, but it's good to have a bag of extra light DME around for purposes like this.

Sometimes a starter is ready to pitch pretty quickly (12 - 18 hours), and sometimes they'll take a couple of days to get going.

Edit: Sorry for the dup info...David beat me to the draw this morning.

Extra coffee in the Mudd does it every time. I think the only thing we have disagreed on is how long it's ok to leave the ale in the primary.

Latest posts

Back