Secondary fermentation Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patpend3

Reaction score
I really don’t want to buy a glass carboy and was wondering if I can use the bottling bucket w/ spigot to run a secondary fermentation.

I would like to condition the batch I have with a fining agent, to get the most clarity possible.

:confused:Can I do this with the bottling bucket I have?

It would be difficult. You could not long term age it because of the O2 issues. And then when you go to bottle you would need to remove your beer, clean out trub, add priming sugar and beer back to bucket to bottle. You could try adding your clearing agent in the primary a few days before bottling just to see how that works. I have never tried that my self, but what do you have to lose? At some point in the near future you are going to want to get a carboy (one of many) anyway, you might as well make it now.

Not a good idea. As stated, vulnerability to oxygen is a problem. Ideally, you'd like the beer right up the neck of a carboy and airlock it then let it sit for a week or more. With the bucket, the yeast can't make enough CO2 to blanket the surface in any meaningful way and in the time it takes to clear you may have O2 and infection issues. I'd probably just leave it in the primary and siphon carefully and bottle it from there

Gordie.

Back