Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anybody share how long you have fermented apfelwein in a better bottle? My last batch went about 7 weeks and looking to go longer with my current batch, maybe 3 months or more. Just want to make sure not too much oxygenation.

Thanks, Jeff

Desrever - of course. Just make sure to syphon to avoid oxidization. I recommend keeping it all Apple and making syrup to pour in when you pour into the glass. You get the choice that way and can get it as subtle or sweet and fruity as you want :)

Thanks edwort for the canvas.

I'm assuming I can just let this go at sanitary levels for ? Infinity ? I don't drink wine, I'm doing this as an experiment I'll taste it along the way of course.

eventually I would like to bottle this still for events at later dates in my lifetime. I've read So many post here I'm going to make it owe it to me to age along with my brewing lifestyle I Understand that patience is key.

if it doesn't rain it pours for me! Have bought a 5 gallon pressure barrel to store my cider, cleaned and sterilised it. When I tipped it up side down some water is leaking from the cap!!
Do you think this could just be the O ring? As I'm taking this shouldn't happen with a pressure barrel. GRRRRRRR

Thanks edwort for the canvas.

I'm assuming I can just let this go at sanitary levels for ? Infinity ? I don't drink wine, I'm doing this as an experiment I'll taste it along the way of course.

eventually I would like to bottle this still for events at later dates in my lifetime. I've read So many post here I'm going to make it owe it to me to age along with my brewing lifestyle I Understand that patience is key.

We were talking about the same thing when making Blackberry Wine the other day - making a few year's worth over time and leaving them in the attic with the dates on for the kids to inherit. T'would be amazing.

If it's still, just kill it with K-Sorbate, bottle it and shove it in the attic or garage. Keep it away from temp changes and sunlight, and let that baby age. If you're keeping it in a carboy, get it off the yeast cake first. But yeah, you should be able to let this go for years - after all, the best wines are aged for decades!

herminator said:
if it doesn't rain it pours for me! Have bought a 5 gallon pressure barrel to store my cider, cleaned and sterilised it. When I tipped it up side down some water is leaking from the cap!!
Do you think this could just be the O ring? As I'm taking this shouldn't happen with a pressure barrel. GRRRRRRR

MOST corny-style kegs need to be pressurized in order to seal properly. Try hitting it with come CO2.

If it's still, just kill it with K-Sorbate, bottle it and shove it in the attic or garage. Keep it away from temp changes and sunlight, and let that baby age.

Will Do, Thanks

Need I say more?

image-2222630372.jpg

Stockspeed3 that looks very nice! and clear! mine is quite cloudy thats after 9 months! I've just kegged mine up, and waiting for the 2 weeks before drinking.

Or is it ok, to just drink now? you can tell im itching to have a few ;0)

herminator said:
mine is quite cloudy thats after 9 months!

Really? Odd. Mine cleared up pretty much completely in about a month and a half, and sitting in the fermentor right now, 7.5 months after making it, it's still crystal clear. And I haven't added any sort of finings or anything.

Typically, apfelwein really shouldn't be cloudy after 9 months, so maybe you can help solve the mystery by answering a few questions:

1. Did you use cloudy juice - known as cider, or sometimes "soft" cider - to make your apfelwein to begin with? (Obvious question :D)

2. Did you make sure to boil the apple juice before pitching the yeast?

3. What yeast strain did you use to ferment it?

herminator said:
Stockspeed3 that looks very nice! and clear! mine is quite cloudy thats after 9 months! I've just kegged mine up, and waiting for the 2 weeks before drinking.

Or is it ok, to just drink now? you can tell im itching to have a few ;0)

Thats interesting that yours is not clear. I didn't boil mine and it still came out just fine. Try a little it's not gonna hurt you and if it taste like vinegar you prob got an infection. If it taste fine cold crash it and see if that helps. If you don't have a fridge that big just steal a glass of it and put that in the fridge for awhile and see if that works. How hot was it where u have been fermenting? It should be below 75 And do you have any pics?

Thats interesting that yours is not clear. I didn't boil mine and it still came out just fine. Try a little it's not gonna hurt you and if it taste like vinegar you prob got an infection. If it taste fine cold crash it and see if that helps. If you don't have a fridge that big just steal a glass of it and put that in the fridge for awhile and see if that works. How hot was it where u have been fermenting? It should be below 75 And do you have any pics?

Have tasted it, and it's deffo not infected and tastes great actually. I'll take a pint out tomorrow as a sample and post a pic on here. :tank:

Quick Q about Apfelwein: Do most people degas it before bottling? I really haven't tried any "authentic" apfelwein, so I don't know what's standard.

I might split up my 5 gallons and try it degassed, bottled straight from the primary, and primed with extra dextrose (I do have champagne bottles on hand)... Maybe even put some in a jug with an airlock and some blueberry and/or raspberry added? I'm sure the possibilities are limitless and I can't be the first guy to come up with an idea like that.

Frankly, I just don't have time to read all 800+ pages of the thread, but I have been pondering this.

Thanks for any replies.

jimmystewart said:
Quick Q about Apfelwein: Do most people degas it before bottling? I really haven't tried any "authentic" apfelwein, so I don't know what's standard.

I might split up my 5 gallons and try it degassed, bottled straight from the primary, and primed with extra dextrose (I do have champagne bottles on hand)... Maybe even put some in a jug with an airlock and some blueberry and/or raspberry added? I'm sure the possibilities are limitless and I can't be the first guy to come up with an idea like that.

Frankly, I just don't have time to read all 800+ pages of the thread, but I have been pondering this.

Thanks for any replies.

Sorry but your going to have to spend 48 hours reading. Just kidding. I have always keg mine so I'm not sure if you have to de-gas. I would guess you don't need to. But make sure you do save some to play with it, add what ever you want, that's half the fun. Sorry if I'm not making any sense right now just gone done drinking two glasses of this stuff an a stone IPA do I'm a little buzzed and the only reason my spelling is ok because im using my iPhone with spell check. Lol

This looks so facinating. I've order materials and can't wait to try it. But is there anywhere you can buy it to try? I haven't seen it in liquor stores. (ABC stores) At least I'll know if I'm making it right.

drew1d said:
This looks so facinating. I've order materials and can't wait to try it. But is there anywhere you can buy it to try? I haven't seen it in liquor stores. (ABC stores) At least I'll know if I'm making it right.

There is really no place here in America that you can buy any thing that taste like it. I have been told that in Germany they have stuff like it. Just make sure you don't judge it on your first glass, it took me 2-3 before I was in love and now I always have to have it on tap. One word of advice once you have bottled or keged it, start another batch.

My Apfelwein will be 1 year old next month. I bottle primed it 2 mos ago with corn sugar and just cracked open my first one.

It's really fizzy and has a slight yeast smell but it don't really taste yeasty. I think maybe it needs to age some more.

If ABC as in "Alabama Beverage Control" there isn't much chance of finding anything obscure... After all, after Alvin Holmes decreed Chivas Regal was healthy for you, why carry anything else? ;)

That said I found an applewine over in Georgia last time I went through there and while good it didn't taste that close even imo. Much much tarter than the Apfelwine I've made since.

Don't really have the time to read a ton of pages... What's the verdict on using white table sugar?

Don't really have the time to read a ton of pages... What's the verdict on using white table sugar?

I've made about five 5 and 6 gallon batches and only used white table sugar. They all tasted great to me although I've never compared mine to any made with corn sugar.

I usually use 50/50 Dextrose and Brown sugar and it comes out fine. White sugar should work as others have said. THe common complaint about using white sugar in beer is that it imparts a 'cidery' flavor. For what is pretty much a cider, this isn't bad ;)

While you wait the 8 weeks in the fermenter you'll have the time to read all the pages :)

I have a 5 gallon batch in which I used 5 gallons tree top and 2 lbs of lt brown sugar going now with about 3 weeks in primary. I used Nottingham ale yeast so I can not wait for this to be done. I also just did a test batch of a one gallon batch fermented with ec-1118 and after 3 weeks split the gallon and added 2 cans of concentrate to both halves. We shall see how it turns out.....

Note to self:

Make more Apfelwein. Bottle when done. Don't touch for two years.

Just had some that I made two years ago and damn that's good. :ban::ban::ban:

Note to self:

Make more Apfelwein. Bottle when done. Don't touch for two years.

Just had some that I made two years ago and damn that's good. :ban::ban::ban:

I made the same note this month. Me and the wife had some friends move back to Ohio and we depleted the supply to nothing before I even noticed lol. So I now have 5 gal Concord red , 5 gal Amber Malt Cider, 5 gal cranberry-blueberry-Blackberry , 1 gal orange mead, 1 gal concord blush. At this rate I'll have to make 15 gal a month to satisfy demand and be able to age some lol. Next month will be 15 gal Apfelwein. I did manage to save a bottle of Apfelwein from last december. Gonna drink it this weekend.

I had a bad batch, see back about a month, this thread, however its starting to mellow out, now it tastes like flat wine. Were going to leave it go for a while and see what happens.

Getting ready to start a batch tonight.
I was thinking of using a Cote des Blancs yeast instead. Not had a chance to read through all the posts to see if anyone has tried this.
Anyone recommend using this yeast? Anyone not recommend it?

A note to anyone who thinks they have to read the whole 8000+ replies to this thread to get an answer to their question; you don't. Click the "search this thread" button above the uppermost post and you can search for keywords or posters strictly in this thread.

Noe said:
Getting ready to start a batch tonight.
I was thinking of using a Cote des Blancs yeast instead. Not had a chance to read through all the posts to see if anyone has tried this.
Anyone recommend using this yeast? Anyone not recommend it?

If you like it dry then that yeast will do it. If you want if more fruity and more flavor then you need to use nottingham ale yeast. Just my .02 good luck

Brew Runner said:
A note to anyone who thinks they have to read the whole 8000+ replies to this thread to get an answer to their question; you don't. Click the "search this thread" button above the uppermost post and you can search for keywords or posters strictly in this thread.

I don't see such a button like that. Does it hurt that I'm on the app version? Cause my phone browser blows...

Latest posts

Back