Proper Yeast Starter Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTaps

Reaction score
So im doing my first Dunkelweizen and 24 hours prior i made a starter. I went with Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. I kept at 64 deg. and the starter looked great. My only concern was when i piched to the primary i gave the starter a good shake and swirl, but could not get the thick bottom/trub to loosen. Rather than scraping it loose i just pitched whatever came out and discarded the rest. I just wanted to get some feedback on wether you must use your entire starter, or whatever you can get out.

* checked Dunkel 12 hrs after pitching and has a very healthy fermentation :)

Ideally, you want to get all of it - that thick bottom/trub was the bulk of your yeast! What might have worked better for you was to decant off a good portion of the fluid (not all!) that was in the starter container, then swirl what was left vigorously enough to get all of that yeast cake up into solution. Maybe try that next time?

Yeah, you want that good stuff in the bottom. Shake harder, get that stuff up into solution.

Crap, i knew it felt wrong to discard :( should i get another pack and pitch into the dunkel?

Latest posts

Back