Cloudy Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I have a batch of hoppy APA that just won't clear. I have even tried cold crashing with no luck. My normal process is primary for a week or so, secondary for two weeks, keg, condition at 60F for a couple weeks, force carb, and drink when desired carbonation is reached. Generally I have a pretty clear beer by then.

But not this time. THere are no off flavors that I can taste, and frankly it's a pretty tasty batch. I am not all that worried about it, but I can't figure out what is making it so cloudy??? It's really cloudy, much cloudier than say a heffe or a Wit.

Recipe is pale malt, a bit of crystal, a bit of carapils, and a heavy addition of hops especially late in the boil. Yeast is London Ale. I can post the exact recipe if that helps.

Any thoughts?

Alan

How long have you let it chill before pulling a pint? I generally let my kegged stuff sit in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks before drinking and most come out pretty clear and I do BIAB so I'm starting with some pretty cloudy wort.

do you use whirflock or irish moss? I have the same thing in my beer, but I have not been using them up till now. I plan to this weekend though, to see if there is a difference.

But same issue as you. It's cloudy, but tastes pretty damn good. So while I got a 38/50 in a local comp, it was due mainly to the haze. trying to clean that up a bit.

My biggest challange is keeping enough beer in my pipeline so I can allow batches to properly age before I drink them :eek: . Generally I am seeing nice clear beer halfway though the keg ;) .

I used to use irish moss, but honestly I didn't notice much difference. I do notice that when I keep beer in secondary for an extra week it is much clearer much faster in the keg. I might try the whirflock just for kicks.

It's just this one batch that his confusing me. I don't enter in competitions at the moment, not ready for that yet. But not to worry, it will be only a memory in a week or two anyway ;) .

Alan

this cracks me up. I used to use it as well, and didn't really see a difference. Now I'm going to give it another shot based on suggestions/feedback I've been getting. Almost like I'm talking to myself here!

Yes, the yeast is reused, but it was washed. Yes FG was right where I expected at 1.010.

Just a strange batch since I have not had this issue before. Usually by this time the beer is pretty clear. I am almost embarassed to serve this one to guests. Good thing it tastes okay....I'll just drink it myself ;).

Just trying to figure out the source of cloudiness.

Alan

I noticed to you said this was a "hoppy" pale ale. Large quantities of hops will tend to make beer a bit cloudy. Take beers like Sierra Nevada Torpedo, or <insert your favorite imperial IPA>. They all have the hop haze. Could just be you added a lot of hops in your beer.

I just cracked the keg on my AIPA and I dry hopped in the fermentor - it is a beautiful orange/yellow color and not clear at all (but awesome). I would agree large amounts of hops will cloud it up.

Now when you cold crash a beer...can you bottle it and still get carbonation or are most of the yeast that do this gone? just curious

Yep, I guess it could be the large quantity of hops. I'll have to keep an eye on future batches.

Alan

Back