can't get rid of odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrychris109

Reaction score
just bottled first batch ever today, cleaning out all my equipment now with 5star pbw, still a slight odor in primary fermenter 6 1/2 gallon white plastic bucket, scrubbed with dishcloth twice, vigorously, is there a way to get rid of this odor or will it be fine? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

try soaking in baking soda. I remember the fruity smell i had my first few brews.It actually went away.I may also have some chlorine in my tap water( i can smell it) try soaking it, it may not go away but probably will not be as strong.It will fade some.

My first fermenter was an empty wine must bucket(My father-in-law makes wine). I put in a cup of chlorox and filled it with warm water. Put the lid on with an airlock. Two days later I emptied it, rinsed well, and the smell was gone. Guess what; after brewing my next batch the smell was back. I don't worry about it much anymore.

Probably the best thing one can do in this situation is put another batch of beer in it.

I have a 6.5 gallon bucket that is over a year old now. I could never get the hoppy odor to go away, tried PBW, One Step and OxyClean, nothing worked. Since I had the bucket for over a year, I just decided to retire it and replaced it with a 6 gallon Better Bottle. I don't think the odor was hurting anything, but I've noticed the better bottles resist odors better.

I'd ignore it and throw another batch in it. The smell shouldn't affect your taste any and even if you spent all the time trying to get it out, it's just going to smell again after the next batch.

If it really bothers you, I'd suggest getting a glass carboy, or at least a better bottle. I've never had any odors stick around in them

true the smell is not bad and smells way better than turds.it really wont effect anything except the fact you know its there.Unless it smelled like your shoes after a 100 mile run in a tropical storm,i wouldnt worry.

It's normal. Both my fermenters smell for some time after even with a good Oxyclean wash two times. I've gotten over the fact and just clean it once and let it be. Hasn't been a problem at all.

Rev.

Or try half strength vinegar...I did a raspberry wheat long ago and I think some of the remnants are in my siphon tubes hence my latest rye smells and tastes a little raspberry-like despite my using cleaner and star san. Vinegar does the trick...

I notice it too. My buckets have a 'co2' smell to them up to a week after they're cleaned out. It doesn't seem to affect the next batch.

Back