Oatmeal Stout (brew bill ok?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Is the following looking fairly ok for a more robust oatmeall stout?

7# malt extract
1# flaked oats
1# wheat malt
1# crystal malt
.75# roasted barley
.75# chocolate malt

2 oz Northern Brewer Hops

Pitching on English Ale Yeast Cake (Saf-Ale-04)

Will this be robust, complex, and drinkable? Im looking for a nice 15degreeF beer:mug:

I'll take a stab. Looks ok, your points (assuming LME ~37pppg) do push you just outside of the 'typical' oatmeal stout range, but you said robust. The hops seem about right, NB is a good choice imho. Not sure about how the other flavors will play out, hopefully some others will comment. The roasted is probably good for that recipe in terms of amount.

I'd lower the chocolate and roasted a bit and add a lb of crystal.

For the hops, 2 oz of EK Goldings for 60 min (32 IBUs) have given me great results. NB will probably result in more bitterness and less hop flavor if I had to guess.

I'd add two pounds of 2-row and do a mini-mash. Some people just steep oats, but I don't like the suspended starches.

david_42 said:
I'd add two pounds of 2-row and do a mini-mash. Some people just steep oats, but I don't like the suspended starches.

You know, in my brain I was thinking as an AG brewer lol. Even though I recognized he was using extract, lol. I mash my oats and all so I would suggest this as well.

Last one I brewed I mini-mashed (held all grains 2# 2row, 1# oats, plus specialty/roasted grains) @ 150-155 degrees for an hour) and then sparged with a flower sprinkler. I thought maybe I'd use more LME opposed to 2# of 2 row - its alot of grain in my humble partial set-up
It did turn out well, but I often get underutilization because of my partial boils.

Before I went all-grain I made an oatmeal stout twice...once all extract (steeping the oats) and then a partial mash. Since all grain I've made about 3 batches of the same stout recipe. I have to say I didn't know what I was missing from the oats until I tasted the beer after partial mash and all grain. Steeping definitely didn't add much. So I would go with the other folks and recommend a mini-mash, if at all possible.

If you are able to do a partial mash it will help out a great deal. The oats need to be mashed. You could do an easy partial mash with just addin 2# of 2-row and throw some a # of munich in there to add some more maltiness. I like the hops with that brew.

Latest posts

Back