Yay, I have two primaries now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZGirl

Reaction score
So excited... after reading heaps on this forum I realised I need to leave my brew in the primary a lot longer than the 4 - 7 days recommended by the instructions on the Coopers kits, so I went out and bought another primary set up.

Now I have a Coopers lager in the first (4 days so far) and the bubbling has slowed right down to one bubble every few minutes, and a Coopers draught in the second primary (started last night) and it's bubbling away every two seconds or so.

Only newby kits I know, nothing that exciting, but it is to me. :D

Thanks for such a great and friendly forum. :)

Congrats there....your obsession is growing.

It doesn't take long. :D

Soon you'll be approaching this...(unfortunately at the time I took this, two of those carboys were empty, but what you can't see is the two that were secondarying around the corner of the closet to the left.

To the right of the swamp cooler going deep in the closet were 3 rows of double stacked filled cases bottle conditioning.

brewcloset1.jpg

:mug:

Also this is a great article from the Australian Craftbrewer's association website on improving cooper's kit beer...Improving Your Cooper's Kit beers

Over the next few weeks, Bigkahuna and I are going to do some experiments with them as well and write some stuff up.

If you aren't familiar Creaftbrewer radio covers brewing in the Australia/NZ region.

CraftBrewer Radio

There's also archives from when the were on the radio as well...Australian Craft Brewing

You do know that as a part of this place it is obligatory to post a picture of your fermenters, don't you...:D

lol - I may need a new house... haven't got enough closet space for a setup like that...

I have one primary in a cupboard next to my hotwater cupboard (carefully monitoring temperature) and the other on my kitchen bench (with a grey rubbish sack loosely covering it to keep out sunlight... and again carefully monitoring temperature)...

I have no other cupboard space (unless I get rid of some clothes... hmmm, lol).

lol - I may need a new house... haven't got enough closet space for a setup like that...

I have one primary in a cupboard next to my hotwater cupboard (carefully monitoring temperature) and the other on my kitchen bench (with a grey rubbish sack loosely covering it to keep out sunlight... and again carefully monitoring temperature)...

I have no other cupboard space (unless I get rid of some clothes... hmmm, lol).

Who needs clothes? Especially in a hot climate...(didn't you say you're self employed...if you don't deal with customers, especially if you do the brunt of your work via phone and computer...who's gonna know? (of course we'd REALLY demand pictures then);)

Actually I live in a loft, where only two closets and very little storage space...so I dedicated that living room closet to coats and brewery. I use milk crates and velcro to store stuff.

brewcloset2.jpg

It ain't pretty, but it works!

And don't forget that you'll soon have a lot of bottles to deal with. They take up more space than you'd think. I'm finding it's best to save the box from a case of commercial beer. You can fit a lot of bottles and stack them high to keep them out of the way.

Welcome to the obsession!

Congrats! More primaries is always a good thing to have.

With two primaries pumping out beer, eventually you'll have a closet that looks like this just for beer and fermenter storage.
beercloset1.jpg

Who needs clothes? Especially in a hot climate...(didn't you say you're self employed...if you don't deal with customers, especially if you do the brunt of your work via phone and computer...who's gonna know? (of course we'd REALLY demand pictures then);)
QUOTE]

How rude! lol... My friend has my camera but I will try to get some pics done later today, (of the primaries!) nothing very exciting I'm afraid, but hey, can do...

Thanks for the links above, I'll check them out now. :)

edit: oh, and my business is computer repairs and delivery and installation of televisions and home theatre systems etc... so I cannot turn up naked! :D

And don't forget that you'll soon have a lot of bottles to deal with. They take up more space than you'd think. I'm finding it's best to save the box from a case of commercial beer. You can fit a lot of bottles and stack them high to keep them out of the way.

Absolutely! I am bearing that in mind... I have a (dark and good temperature) place in mind for the bottles... and that basically leaves no more room.

I am thinking about sourcing an old broken down fridge... could put a primary in there and store bottles as well.

Congrats! More primaries is always a good thing to have.

With two primaries pumping out beer, eventually you'll have a closet that looks like this just for beer and fermenter storage.

You guys are very neat and organised... I'm impressed... I could learn from this. ;)

bigsnake, you would have more room if you got rid of those slicks :)

if they are 275/40/17 you can send em to me. i need some r compounds!

i might have to go take a pic of my conditioning closet...

DSCN1181.jpg

this is about 10 cases or so. there is a top shelf that does not show...and the 6 packs are double deep, 12 packs are single deep. i did not both to take a pic of the washer and dryer behind me that are covered in bottles... the damned stone 22oz bottles wont fit in my closet :(

can you say obsession?
unfortunately only one of four primaries are being used right now. too much company coming up to brew.
i gotta go get back to steam cleaning!

lol

yeah, the wife does not think so. thats her laundry closet!
ohh, and i was wrong, there is actually almost 15 cases in there, had no idea i packed so many in.
problem is, i picked up another 12 pack of SNPA today, and i have no place to put the empties tonight when it's gone.

bottles are damned expensive, but these fine vendors went and put some liquid that tastes quite good! (except for that pete's wicked set of bottles, that stuff in there was ****)
anyway, point is, you need about 48-55 bottles per 5 gallon batch.
you have two primaries now, so in three weeks, you need roughly 100 bottles, and a place to store that. 3 weeks after that, you will need 100 more...and so on.
also, you need a spot for the bottling bucket, mine barely fits under my sink, next to my mr beer keg that's fermenting....crap.

I have thirty 750ml bottles that came with the start-up kit I bought...

I also found a supplier locally, thank goodness... they don't have much stuff... they're actually a paint shop of all things... but they DO have the 750ml bottles so I was going to get another thirty of those... probably actually need another sixty...

The math and timing issues are doing my head in, lol.

It can sneak up on you. I have three primaries running now (mead, apfelwein, and a weizen I brewed yesterday), 16 cases bottle conditioning, and ~30 cases of empty delabeled bottles.

Luckily I have a spare room, a workshop, and a porch to brew on. :)

I recently joined the "two primary club" as well. Yay to us :mug:

My new one is glass, too, so I can see the beer churning as it's fermenting and can see the wonderful krausen :)

Oh, and Bigsnake, what kind of car are those shoes meant for? It seems we share two obsessions...

Over the next few weeks, Bigkahuna and I are going to do some experiments with them as well and write some stuff up.

I've only done one and it was very good. Make sure the kit you get is fresh. Use 2# of the palest extract you can find. Make 5.25 gallons instead of 6. Add a handful of hops at flameout. Pitch SafAle US-05 yeast. Oh, and BURN the yeast and instructions that come with the can as a ritual. :D

It only gets worse. I have 3 6 gallon Better Bottles, 2 pails for beer, 1 pail for wine, 2 5 gallon glass carboys and 1 3 gallon glass carboy. Sometimes they are all full at the same time.

Back