Keg, ball valve assembly removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove this type of ball valve assembly? There does not seem to be any release notch or visual means of removal???

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6257&c=1&userid=10471
10471-kegcoupler.jpg

Still no joy...... I am trying to temove the assembly and from the picture I posted you can see there is no visable means of removal.

I just removed one of these...there is a snap ring, but doesn't look like a snap ring, it looks like two shims that are connected together. You have remove that. If that is removed, then the thing comes right out. That snap ring is all that holds it together. You have to pry it out which is a little bit of a PITA.

I already released the pressure. There is no notch in this keg. I see no ring to release. I could just knock the tang with an aluminum rod and a hammer to rotate the assembly but do not know which way to go? Clockwize or counterclockwize.

Like I said I have never done it I just saw the posts... maybe someone can help.

There has to be some sort of retainer though. I can't imagine that it is only screwed in.

Kinda hard to tell with that picture but I don't see a notch either. What is that darker area under the top rim at 11:00? Edge of a snap ring maybe?

billtzk said:
Kinda hard to tell with that picture but I don't see a notch either. What is that darker area under the top rim at 11:00? Edge of a snap ring maybe?

No, there is nothing to release at 11:00. This looks like the attempt to keep home brewers from taking apart kegs. :)

My LHBS asked if I ever ran across a keg Withouta spring clip (threaded) to keep him in mind...I havent seen one before..just a thought

BeerCanuck

I did come across one keg that DID NOT have a snap ring, seems to be the same as you are describing. The valve assembly was simply threaded in. Try rotating it counterclockwise, if that's the case it should just unscrew.

With that said, there was also an additional "catch" built into the dip tube that made it seemingly impossible to actually remove the valve/spear after unscrewing it all the way, so I got it to the point where I could rattle it around but couldn't take it out. Said screw it, and cut the top out of the keg as it was.

Chris_Dog said:
Did you ever get her off? ;)

Nope...... it will not budge either way. It must be a new method of keg design (Pressed in) as I have 2 others that have snap rings. Oh well. It leaks at the ball anyway and that makes it a candidate for the grinder and sawzall. :)

I'm quite sure after 12 years he has either fixed it or long since moved on...

Back