Highly hopped lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
Has anyone here made a highly hopped lager? I am going to have my freezer at 48 degrees for another beer and was thinking of what else I could do at that temp. Am jonesing for an IPA butmy consistent ferment temp will be lager and not ale. Thoughts?

All lager recipes I have are anything but. It's almost as if the process is designed to skip any chance of flavor.

The hell to it though, why not? Heavy carbonation and chilling only makes things tastes better!

I believe the main difference between a beer with lager instead of ale yeast is that it is cleaner with fewer esters. Given that, it seems like a great way to make a beer to highlight a specific hop. Maybe do several small batches with some hops you haven't used before on a plain recipe.

lagers r usually lame in hop aroma,flavor. It wouldnt be true 2 style,but im shure it would make it better. I wouldnt hesitate to make it have character.

Ok, so maybe I shoot for highlighting a single style of hop and really focus on aroma more than bitterness. I think that might be the trick. So low alphas for the boil and dry hopping with high alphass. I have about 4 jars of Boehemian lager yeast cake to pitch. Should be interesting!

Ok, so maybe I shoot for highlighting a single style of hop and really focus on aroma more than bitterness. I think that might be the trick. So low alphas for the boil and dry hopping with high alphass. I have about 4 jars of Boehemian lager yeast cake to pitch. Should be interesting!

How did this turn out?

There is a local micro brew that does this and they call it Hop Syndrome. It's not bad but by no means an ipa. I would say go for it.

I thought of Hop Syndrome too.

Here's some info on it:

Malts: Pilsner, Light Munich Malt, Carapils
Boil Hops: Calypso, Crystal
Hopback: whole leaf Aramis
Dry Hops: Crystal, Calypso
ABV: 4.8%

I think of it as essentially being a dry hopped American Pilsner. The body is thinner than a true pilsner without the corn flavors you would associate with a macrobrew.

Back