Cider Still Quite Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshgaz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I kicked off some TC and it's been bottled for 2 months now. Even after all this time though the cider still tastes quite bitter.

Contents where 4 ltrs cartoned apple juice, Cider yeast SB24, 1 cup of tea and 250g of fruit sugar. That fermented for around 2 weeks before I bottled it.

How do I get the bitterness out of the drink ?? Just leave it longer ? Add a bit more tea in the next batches ?

Thanks
- G

Bitterness I don't think will mellow too much with time.
If it had a "hot/kerosene" taste, or some other ester flavor it would mellow and blend.
Bitter is usually a result of the juices added in my limited experience. If you like the taste of the tea you added, I don't think that is the problem.
Next sample you taste, try mixing in some sugar to a small batch and see if that helps.
Then I would try mixing in some type of soda you like, to see if it cuts the taste.
In short, don't give up, but start seeing what you can mix it with if the bitterness persist. What ever you do, don't dump it. In two years it could taste fantastic on its own.

I've no intention of dumping it or giving up trust me :) with a bit of added AJ it's drinkable

The reason I started on turbo cider though was I thought it was going to be quicker to get some results to try and also experiment a little so you don't wait 12 months to find its crap !

Might add some campden next time to kill the yeast and then try mixing it like you said with lemonade or adding a little sugar. See how that tastes...

Got some on the go at the minute with apple & mango plus an apple and pear :D

When I make a cider, I usually do around 2 quarts more than I can fit into my secondary and set up the rest as a side ferment. That way I can taste test, measure, and adjust that before I mess up my big investment.
My current batch was with US-05, tree top juice and around 1 lb of sugar.
It taste good now after just around 28 days, but I think I need to add a few cans of concentrate instead of sugar. I want that kick of apple with a smooth dry taste, in around 2 months.
As you can tell, I'm still working on a good recipe myself.
Best of luck.

Back