Did fermentation temp stop yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhausen83

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing my 6th extract kit. It is a clone brew of Hoegaarden White ale using Wyeast #3463 Forbidden Fruit. The brewing went perfect and I was at my OG 1.050 specified for the kit. I let the activator pack swell for 3+ hours and made sure to aerate the wort. I pitched the yeast Monday night and yesterday I had signs of vigorous fermentation. Today when I got home the bubbling has almost stopped. The reason for my concern is my other brews had slower onset fermentation that seemed to last for 4-6 days, whereas this one started and slowed quick. I noticed that the temp strip on my carboy was at the highest level. Is it possible that the high temps messed up the fermentation? or am I just being paranoid and should wait and see if i hit my target FG?

I am in the process of brewing my 6th extract kit. It is a clone brew of Hoegaarden White ale using Wyeast #3463 Forbidden Fruit. The brewing went perfect and I was at my OG 1.050 specified for the kit. I let the activator pack swell for 3+ hours and made sure to aerate the wort. I pitched the yeast Monday night and yesterday I had signs of vigorous fermentation. Today when I got home the bubbling has almost stopped. The reason for my concern is my other brews had slower onset fermentation that seemed to last for 4-6 days, whereas this one started and slowed quick. I noticed that the temp strip on my carboy was at the highest level. Is it possible that the high temps messed up the fermentation? or am I just being paranoid and should wait and see if i hit my target FG?

If it was a hot fermentation, it could easily ferment out in 24 hours.

How did it turn out?

I just experienced some thing very similar to a batch I started Sunday night went nuts by Monday evening, upper 70's, and looked rather pooped out by Tuesday evening.

I will check my gravity tonight or tomorrow.

I transferred to the secondary this weekend, and my FG was spot on based on recipe directions and everything looked/smelled good. I'm going to let it age for another two weeks or so then keg.

Now that active primary fermentation is over, you should move your carboy to a lower-temperature area (50-55 degrees) if possible; leaving it in an area in the upper 70s might create some undesirable off-flavors over the course of two weeks. Exactly how high were your "high temps," Wolf?

It got up to the highest temp on the stick-on thermometer on the carboy, I think like 76. Its still cool in CT so room temp in my basement now is 62. Im gonna give it some time in secondary and hope for the best.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

You should be fine if you move your carboy to your basement; I've had a few beers hit the high mark on my stick-on thermometers by accident as well, but after moving them to a lower temperature they've always turned out well.

Back