Spring Sugestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a beer that will be ready for my daughter's 2nd Birthday and also for watching March Madness. I was thinking of brewing a Belgium Wit unless anyone can think of a better early spring time beer. Keep in mind this will be my first non-kit beer.

HarrisonHomeBrew said:
I am getting ready to brew a beer that will be ready for my daughter's 2nd Birthday and also for watching March Madness. I was thinking of brewing a Belgium Wit unless anyone can think of a better early spring time beer. Keep in mind this will be my first non-kit beer.

Well, what kind of beer does your 2 year old like? J/K!

I'm not a Wit fan, so maybe I'm biased, but how about an English pale ale? Slightly hoppy, balanced, easy drinking. I have a recipe somewhere, if you want.

I don't think you want to brew a wit now for drinking in March: they need a little longer than that, IMHO, for the spices to mellow and the flavors to develop.

I did an American Pale Ale a couple weeks ago, also for March Madness. Referring to it as "Paler Than Gonzaga," but apparently they suck this year, so I may need a new name. Just a basic, medium-gravity PA (OG was a bit higher than I planned at 1055), with ~30IBUs from Cascade and Northern Brewer.

Maibock's are a traditional spring brew. You could try that if you're into a lager. But while it may be ready for "spring", it probably won't be drinking well by March Madness.

My first two batches were an IPA and stout. I was looking for something a little lighter and thought a BW would be fun to try. If I started it this weekend that would be 6 wks away. That's not long enuf?

Try a Saison instead. Light. Fruity. Easy drinking. Goes down quickly. Takes little to NO effort to make.

See my recipe in the Sorachi Ace thread in recipes...

Back