Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHEURB

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Though I'm sure of, if I want to filter my beer before bottling, I don't want to use any carbon filters, correct? I ask because, the local suppliers (Lowes, HD) don't have anything below 5 microns that isn't a carbon filter. Looks like I'll have to purchase such a thing from an online supplier of filters, such as the filter store or something of the like? Thanks for any help!

A 5 micron filter will a good job on your beer without stripping flavor, color or all of the yeast. Filtering will require kegs OR a pump. Gravity won't work.

Yeah, I've got the supplies, as I usually keg my beer, butI don't filter beyond just letting things settle. I recently made a Kolsch style beer and want to filter it as much as possible to get a very clear beer. It seems that the 1 or .5 micron would be most suited to get any little thing out, but they don't seem to be readily availabe except as a carbon filter (which would reduce chlorine flavor and what not).

A friend of mine uses a plate filter during the transfer from the corny he uses to age his beer and the one he serves out of. It looks like it would work exceptionally well for beers that have been dry hopped or put into secondary with fruit/spices as I always feel as though I'm leaving behind so much good beer when I stop the siphon a couple inches from the bottom to avoid the hop residue floating on the surface...

It's $60 CDN at my LHBS, which is outrageous! Although I'm going to Maine in november and I suspect I can get the filter and a stack of 5 micron filter pads for less than $50 USD :D

Back