Hop growing question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are fine. But when I planted a rhizome, I liked to stake down three lines or so per plant as many bines will rise up and grow. Looks like you have a nice plant growing. Keep it in fully sun and soon you will have a robust plant. The growth will amaze you.

Depending where and what you read, most documents suggest 2-4 bines per rope. My 5 year old plants get 3-4 per rope. For what it's worth: I think first year plants look nicer (fuller) when you run several bines together; not that this has anything to do with yield or performance. Just aesthetics.

I ran 2-3 on a line last year. I got great results. Food for thought though: my Nugget plant had nearly 10 bines trained on 4 lines. My Chinook had only 3 bines one 4 lines (one was open). Chinook out produced Nugget by 1 dry oz. Not sure if there's a connection, but there were sidearms on my Nugget that withered and died before cones could grow. I wonder if they were choked out by other bines competing for space. I'm keeping it to 1 bine per line this year to try and maximize yield.

These are all first years. Took them from rhizomes into what they became. I noticed a difference in behavior by the hop type vs any other variable. 2-4 lines per line is fine. It won't hurt the plant.

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

Latest posts

Back