Brewing on Brutus Ten...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie Mac

Reaction score
Well yesterday I decided to make a few vids of my brew day. Sorta of a small "how to" series. I am hoping this will help some. It took a while to put together!

Sorry for the poor quality. Just a crappy camera, but there may be some info in there somewhere!

In five parts...

I placed the vids in my profile. Please let me know what you think!

wow that's really cool :D
how exactly does the pot fermenter work? how do you seal it? I didnt see any type of airlock on it

Thanks for showing your process.
How does Lone Star beer compare to your brews?

Don't complain about Texas heat, I love it.
Summer brew days inside my garage are always over 100°F:D

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

One more Thank You, lonnie.

I've been collecting parts for months now and finally near the building stage of my own Brutus. It will be nice to have a guide how to use it once it is built.

Now I'm off to watch the vids.

Cheers

Ron

wow that's really cool :D
how exactly does the pot fermenter work? how do you seal it? I didnt see any type of airlock on it

Well my friend! It works just like a pot with beer in it covered with a very loose lid! :)

There is no sealing or airlocks with my beers. There simply is not a need in this situation...

ah interesting. So do you ever plan on going to a conical?

Ah! Well I can say that there is no chance really... I have just made too much great beer this way and for a lot of years. I really don't want to sound conceded I promise because if I made crappy beer, I would be the first to change, but I very actively compete, and I make gold medal beers this way! :)

Thanks for showing your process.
How does Lone Star beer compare to your brews?

Don't complain about Texas heat, I love it.
Summer brew days inside my garage are always over 100°F:D

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Ha! Claudius my friend, you know that was just an empty can!!

Man I was in SA a few weeks ago... Would have been nice if you could have made a road trip!

Now, I have been waiting on your videos for what, I don't know, since 2002? :)

Ah! Well I can say that there is no chance really... I have just made too much great beer this way and for a lot of years. I really don't want to sound conceded I promise because if I made crappy beer, I would be the first to change, but I very actively compete, and I make gold medal beers this way! :)
that's awesome, so do you transfer to a secondary or leave it on the cake for 3-4 weeks?

that's awesome, so do you transfer to a secondary or leave it on the cake for 3-4 weeks?

On most beers, never more than two weeks max, then straight to serving kegs...

Good yeast pitching rates, ferment for 7-8 days, then crash to 35 for another 3-4, depending on when I can transfer to kegs with gelatin...

Anything over lets say around 1.070 or so, I will transfer to carboys and let age a small bit...

Ooh EDIT:

The Berliner I brewed in this vid will definitely go into a secondary... I am not sure that it will sour up enough with my normal schedule... I may need to get it into a few carboys in a cool closet and let it stink up the house a bit!

Great videos. Thanks for sharing. Just curious, what was the reason you used tap water and ice water instead of all ice water for cooling?? Was it because the ice water wouldn't do any better of a job cooling the wort at such high temps?

Awesome video! I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my Brutus and it's nice to see yours in action!

Great videos. Thanks for sharing. Just curious, what was the reason you used tap water and ice water instead of all ice water for cooling?? Was it because the ice water wouldn't do any better of a job cooling the wort at such high temps?

That is correct my friend... I find that ice water is just a wasted effort above 100 or so... It would take several more bags to drop it from boiling temps... The hose will knock it down very quickly to a hundred. The ice just knocks out the rest of this Texas heat from there...

That is correct my friend... I find that ice water is just a wasted effort above 100 or so... It would take several more bags to drop it from boiling temps... The hose will knock it down very quickly to a hundred. The ice just knocks out the rest of this Texas heat from there...

Good to know. Thanks again!!! Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back