Going on vacation - too long for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've asked a question like this in the past, but then it was a question about leaving in the secondary. Today I'm asking about leaving it in the primary.

I wouldn't have worried about this if I hadn't just been reading The Complete Joy and came across a part that said that I should get the beer off the sediment for conditioning because the sediment starts to break down after about 2 weeks and put some off flavors into the brew.

So here is the deal, I want to get a brew going before I take off to Africa this friday. I'll be gone for a full 17 days. I wanted to get the beer fermenting 2 days before so I can check on it over the next day. So that would put the beer in the primary for something like 20 days. At that point, when I get home, I was going to pop it over to a secondary to condition for another 2 weeks or so.

No big deal? or should I give a fellow homebrewer a key and have him rack it off the sediment while I'm away?

Thanks guys.

Shouldn't be a problem. Look through Revvy's post(s) (sticky) regarding this. Some leave it in their primary for two months or longer with no ill effect. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. I would be more concerned that you get brewed and have a few days for fermentation to get going so that something bad doesn't happen - i.e. having the lid blow off from a vigorous fermentation. I just brewed yesterday so that when I leave for my vacation this coming Friday I won't have to worry about this.

Shouldn't be a problem. Look through Revvy's post(s) (sticky) regarding this. Some leave it in their primary for two months or longer with no ill effect. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. I would be more concerned that you get brewed and have a few days for fermentation to get going so that something bad doesn't happen - i.e. having the lid blow off from a vigorous fermentation. I just brewed yesterday so that when I leave for my vacation this coming Friday I won't have to worry about this.

Doh! Revvy has a sticky post about this? Could you link me, I can't seem to find it :/ Don't I feel like a dunce.

About having a vigorous fermentation and having the lid blow off....I would dread that. I haven't had it happen yet with my setup 6.5gal carboy and I'm also not brewing a big beer. I'm sure you're right though, it would be much wiser to be able to check on it more often in the beginning. Perhaps I will just drop the key off at my buddies house and have him pop in on it the first few days.

Thanks!

You will be fine. I consistently leave my beer in the primary for 4+ weeks. I think we have concluded that while yeast autolysis CAN and sometimes does happen, it rarely leads to OFF FLAVORS in our beer.

Yeah, it's probably not going to hurt anything. I'd say if you're that worry about it blowing up, set up a blow off tube instead of the air lock.

Great! Just another case of where RDWHAHB comes in handy ;)

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Yeah, if you can, start today or tomorrow so that the most vigorous part of fermentation takes place under your own watchful eye, then let the yeasties do their job while you're cavorting around the Dark Continent!

Wow, have fun in Africa! Sounds like a blast.

The best part being the beer on the flip side of the trip of course ;)

Definitely should be a wild time. Will have to explore the local brew.

Back