Advice on ESB in secondary dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifecrisis

Reaction score
I have an all grain version of Jamil's ESB in secondary with an oz of EKG dry hopping. The OG was 1.052 and was pitched with WLP002 and was in primary for 2 weeks at 62C. It came down and stabilized at 1.018 (for 3 days)as I expected. I racked to secondary and let it clear more for a week before adding an oz of EKG to dry hop. After adding the hops it became a bit cloudy (which is not unusual for dry hopping) but it has stayed cloudy and I was surprised to find the gravity had dropped to 1.015. I was going to bottle today but now I'm worried about infection or bottle bombs--yet if I leave it dryhopping for another week it may get grassy. I tasted a sample--was ok (a little green).

Not sure whether to leave this a week or bottle it and hope for the best...

Suggestions would be appreciated.

measure the gravity for 3 days and if it stays the same bottle your beer. try not to introduce any new bacteria into the secondary even though your at 4.8% ABV it should ward off a little infection but if your really worried bottle it now.

robotten--no way to cold crash--its in the 70's here now.

adixon--the odd thing is that the beer appeared to be done several weeks ago after two weeks in primary and several days at 1.018. Then I racked it and when I added the dry hops--its like its either roused the yeast or gotten some lambic beasts growing in it.

I decided not to bottle after I saw airlock activity today. I've done dozens of batches of beer and never seen one act like this.

Back