Commander recommended a Medical Retirement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
So I have had some medical issues for the last few years. Nerve damage, a foot that just won’t get better and sleep apnea. All of it has been incurred while in the Air Force. Unfortinlly I can’t continue to perform my job as a Security Forces Member anymore and my med board has finally been submitted. This really is nice since I have been in limbo for about a year. Not able to deploy or go to any schools. But on Thursday my commander wrote his commanders letter for the med board and he has recommended a retirement for me. I have been in for 15 years and did not want to walk away from my career with nothing but a severance check. I am aware that his input does not guarantee me a retirement but it does help. When I do end up out of the military since I am over 30% disabled the VA will pay for a 4 year degree in any field I show an aptitude towards and they will also give me a stipend for living expenses on top of me being able to use my GI bill for housing. This in on top of my retirement my VA disability that I will receive. So please pray for me so that I can retire from the A.F. and move on with a new career in about 4 years and still be able to brew as a good and healthy hobby.

Thank you for your service, honestly. I hope you pick a degree that makes you happy, and I secretly hope you pick a field in brewing. I believe there are a handful of West Coast schools with brewing degrees, if thats what you want to do. Again, thank you for your service.
-Jefe-

Best of luck with that, and thank you for your service to the country!

My father just retired after 30 years (37 if you include the time they put him through med school). The A.F. was really good to our family and seems to take care of their own. I would have gone in but I had bad knees from the start and was a hippy-liberal-theater-type high school and college kid. ;)

I have been putting my soldier (ARMY E-4) out on a med board. the process has taken already approximately 2 months and we still have another before he starts clearing. he is getting around 30% also I don't claim to know everything about med boards but I have learned quite a bit preparing my soldier for it. I would love to help in anyway possible, just let me know if you have any questions, and good luck.

You should fair well,

The Air Force does take care of their Airmen.
The biggest thing I see going for you is that you have over 10 years in.
The VA is a powerful ally, when it comes to your board be sure to talk to a Veterans Rep about what rights you may have.

No matter what do not take the "one time payment"! Appeal the results of the board if that is what the offer you.
After 15 years I would guess that you are an E-7.
That also will weigh heavily at your board.

I wish you the best of luck !

-Cheeto

Thanks for the input. I am actually an E-6 I just missed 7 this year by a few points wish they were giving it away like E-5.. I have already spoken with the VA and will be setting up all my apointment here next week. I really want to get ahead of all the paperwork and junk as soon as possiable.

Thanks for the input. I am actually an E-6 I just missed 7 this year by a few points wish they were giving it away like E-5.. I have already spoken with the VA and will be setting up all my apointment here next week. I really want to get ahead of all the paperwork and junk as soon as possiable.

I have 12 years in and am also and E-6 (Army)

I have put a few troops out on med boards, most of them had less than 10 years so all they were given was the "one time payment" it was rather sad but it was far better than the alternative of a bar to reenlist and told to wait out their contract( I have done that too).

I too have a VA rating for arthritis in the back and shoulders and a few other things.

The sleep apnea thing is one that I do not want to state having, deployments are a way of life for the army.

I do feel that you will fair really well. Good news it will free up lots of time for brewing !! and E-6 base pay with free medical for the rest of you life is not a bad parting gift at all. Being a retiree you can still contribute to your TSP (if you use it)

Make sure NOT to file VA paperwork until you get home and out of the military. You will get more sympathy from a doctor who does not normally see people getting out all day. I ended up with 60% disability from three surgeries that I never was able to recover from. Your description of your issues make me look like a wining third grader. Remember med board retirement and VA medical stuff is different.

Good luck to you. I hope you can find a career that suits your needs.

The Air Force seems like they are trying to cut costs by pushing people out the door on any medical pretext that they can - virtually the same thing happened to a buddy of mine - he had made O-5 after 15 years but had blood clots in his leg while in Iraq. The medical board decided that it prevented him from deploying (yeah, true) and was not service-connected (arguably also true). So after 16 years, he's out with basically nothing to show for it. Big family, young kids through about 22 (who just enlisted).

Fortunately for him, he was offered a job with DLA out at DDC New Cumberland, so at least he gets civil service credit for his time in the service. He basically got a thank you note and a push out the door from the AF.

Thanks for your service, and good luck with your retirement! No matter what happens, homebrewing is always there for you-- and if things get rough, don't forget to RDWHAHB:mug:.

Funny, I've actually been considering enlisting AF and trying to get into Security Forces. Now if any freaking recruiter in PA would get back to me...

Back