Best time to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckrogers71

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking the plunge into brewing. I am done my grad studies and have 3 day weekends.

I know that my neighbor used to brew in fall and if I remember correctly he did so b/c of the temps.

Is this correct or can you brew year round?

so essentially, after I brew it outside, I can bring it in and store it in th basement
Yes. There are various methods to control the temperature, but you can just stick it in a dark area inside where the temperature is regulated. Some folks go farther and control temperature in various ways, but if you are doing ale (as opposed to lager) 65-70F works pretty well. I have mine in a cooler as pictured below to help kick the highs and lows of the temperature swings, but it isn't really necessary.

Oh, and by the way, you don't have to brew outside, but -- especially if doing full boils -- I'd imagine it is easier (I do extract, and only boil three gallons, and have only brewed indoors).

Rick

Pic:
If it doesn't show up, click here.

fermenter.jpg

+1 reno. some people go a little farther with cheap freezers and temp controller. I started out using the spare bathroom(tub) and wrapping a wet towel around the fermenter bucket. being in Reno I'm sure you know how effective evaporative cooling can be.

I'm sure I speak for the rest when I say if I had to wait for the fall to brew I would go crazy. Regulating temperature is as easy as Beerthirty said.

I just have to say, with temperature control the best time to brew is whenever you have an empty fermenting container.

I tend to brew slightly more in the cold months just because I don't have to try to keep anything cool.

summer is a lot of fast beers you can drink young, and the slower beers that need aging in the winter months.

Back