Gelatin...in finished...carbed up kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, I'm having a clearing issue which doesn't seem to get resolved by time in either my primary or secondary. I'm working on my process for better hot/cold breaks. I use clarifiers of both Irish Moss and now for the first time Whirlfloc. I have read that gelatin is an amazing product. I read somewhere that you can add about a 1/2tsp in about a cup of 170 water to an already finished and carbed up keg...let sit for 24hours and then throw out the first pint to pour clearer beer from there on out. Anyone else try this? If not, what is the preferred method for using gelatin? It seems that everywhere I look people are suggesting different things. I normally don't secondary so when would you add gelatin to the primary? 4 or 5 days before kegging/bottling?

So, I'm having a clearing issue which doesn't seem to get resolved by time in either my primary or secondary. I'm working on my process for better hot/cold breaks. I use clarifiers of both Irish Moss and now for the first time Whirlfloc. I have read that gelatin is an amazing product. I read somewhere that you can add about a 1/2tsp in about a cup of 170 water to an already finished and carbed up keg...let sit for 24hours and then throw out the first pint to pour clearer beer from there on out. Anyone else try this? If not, what is the preferred method for using gelatin? It seems that everywhere I look people are suggesting different things. I normally don't secondary so when would you add gelatin to the primary? 4 or 5 days before kegging/bottling?

I add gelatin normally in primary but I have done it in the keg as well.

I normally take about 1/4 cup of water, bring it to a boil, pull it off the heat, let it cool a few seconds, mix about 1/4 package of the gelatin, stir well with a sanitzed wisk, and pour the mixed gelatine water directly into my primary a couple days before kegging.

In the keg I would just put the gelatin in and wait a few days for it to settle out. I couple times in the keg I have gotten little globs of gelatin in my glass of beer, but its not really common place.

If I use gelatin, I add it to the keg and then rack on top, works pretty well. I'm sure you can use it in your already carbed kegs.

What is the quantity you guys are using in the kegs? I have read from 1/2 to 1 tsp and then others use packages. I bought a small 2oz package I believe from my LHBS. Could be smaller, I can't remember off the top of my head.

I use the whole package, I think they are 2oz. I get them in a box of like 4 from the grocery store, Knox brand.

I've heard of Knox. I have just bought a 2oz package at my LHBS. So, ALL 2oz in one 5 gallon batch? I have read that 1T is about all you need. Would the rest be a waste or am I reading false info on the interwebs again?

Back