Are there many women who brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few on this board. Of course Yooper comes immediately to mind, for reasons we won't discuss.:D

Then there's Nurmey, and a bunch more that my feeble mind can't think of ATM.

Welcome, by the way!

You are definitely in the minority but not alone. Besides my wife being a home brewer I have met several women who also enjoy both brewing and consuming the beers that come from home brewing. In fact it wasn't until I started homebrewing that my wife even liked beer, now that she can control what goes into it and makes beers that match her tastes and preference, she is brewing away. So don't feel like you are alone in the great abyss, there are plenty of women enjoying the craft.

My wife and I brew together. She posts here rarely, but we are pretty much equal in the brewing process.

There are, but less than 5% of homebrewers are women according to the last survey I saw. I suspect the numbers look a bit better if you added mead and wine making.

Historically, the brewing of beer was a cottage industry centered around women. There are numerous English manuals on 'housewifery' from the 12th and 13th centuries that mention brewing in particular.

Yooper, Nurmey, jmulligan, laurel, bedlam, junebug, and Melana are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd actually thought about posting a brewing survey just to see how many brewers are women, minorities, etc. But the thing is that the stereotypical view of homebrewers being mostly white males is pretty accurate.

LOL olllllo - you took the words out of my mouth

there aren't many of us around, Finn, but that's ok - the boys can only deal with a few at a time ;)

here are some more chickadees who brew; pinkbootssociety.org

Chemist - I went to college where the ratio was only about 1 girl for every 4 guys... so I'm used to the guys...

McK - maybe that's why there aren't many girls around ;)

Back