Help me create an all grain set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsocc

Reaction score
hey guys -

I just moved to California from Atlanta. I was only able to take what would fit in my car - so I left my old extract brew set up for my younger brother as an early christmas present.

Could you guys recommend/ list the equipment that I'll need to go all grain? I generally want to stick to 5 gallon batches (if possible).

I am in Oxnard, California. I did a little search for a reasonably priced homebrew supply store around here and its pretty dead. I'll probably be ordering most of the stuff online - links to products are definitely appreciated.

Thanks dudes.

What's your budget? Big Garage or Tiny Apt? 10 Gallon Pot/Turkey Burner, and a cooler conversion and your in business. Sky is the limit from there, or I saw a thread here a while back about doing it on your stove if it can boil 5-7 gallons at once.

I kind of want to stick around the 300-400 dollar range. I am in a big place now - but i'll probably be in a tiny apartment later - so five gallon batches are probably best.

Welcome to Cali, I am a "southern transplant" myself, although i have lived here most of my life. As far as the equipment needed to go all grain...this could take while! Do some research, and figure out what works best for you. Pick up a book by Papazian or Palmer, and surf around here and you should have it figured out pretty quick.
As far as where to pick up some HB supplies, there is a place in San luis Obispo called Docs Cellar, they have everything you will need. I also buy some stuff from williams brewing, and it usually arrives the next day!:mug:

William's Brewing, Home Brewing Supplies, Winemaking Supplies, and Home Coffee Roasting. @ Williams Brewing
Doc's Cellar - Home

Now that strikes me as a little funny as Williams Brewing is less than 5 miles from me but mail order only, I walked in their doors but no purchasing directly.
This plus I need to get to Bakersfield later next year for the old era front engine drag race meet. A friend from back east will bring his 605" blown Altered. Yes he's altered mentially driving a Altered plus a bier nut.
Back to OP, i'll have to give that Doc's Cellar place a try thanks for posting them.

I got a laugh they carry Blichmann equipment, I like their "heavy 18 gauge", that's only .050" thick besides what they are asking for them. Not me. Heavy to me is .140" 10 gauge minimum or thicker like a keg that holds heat and shape that only a big hammer could remove small dents.

Back