? for IT & Network Gurus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm wondering why when I host an http protocol on one system inside my LAN and try to download from another system in the same LAN I only get ~60Kb/s. Is it my router? It's a Netgear WGR614v5. I've tried all the tcp/ip tricks for windows... help!

Are you connecting to a computer that is on your local LAN? internal?

If you are using the "outside" name or IP address, you would be looping OUT to the INTERNET and BACK into your LAN. Then you are limited to the upload bandwidth your internet connection has.

Try connecting using the internal address.

It's all internal, the typical Netgear 192.168.x.x stuff... Hell from the internet I'm getting much faster downloads (~300Kb/s) on torrents... but this http is only going up to ~60

If you are on the same network, the router does not do anything. Do you have a network switch as well or does your Netgear box have several ports?

What are you trying to download?

My "network" is basically a 4 port netgear router with g-wireless capability. My main computer is linked via ethernet cable and I have a Wii linked via wifi. I have a homebrew application on my Wii that allows you to use it as an http server through port 80. In the Wii homebrew community, everyone seems to be getting transfer speeds of over 400Kb/s and I'm stuck at 60. Basically I'm just F-ing around with it but I can't understand why many many others with the same basic setup are getting speeds so much faster than what I've achieved.

It could be your signal to the Wii. If it's got a bad signal you are limited to your upload.

Thought about that, but the Wii says it's got a very strong signal, The router is just on the other side of a wall from the Wii. I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out... I might just go purchase another router to test if that's the issue...

I love to make things do something they were not designed to do (hack) but in this case ... while a great project and unique .... I guess I really dont see the point.

A webserver, to be used publiclly needs to be available all the time thus leaving your wii on all the time.... not sure thats a good idea. And how flexible is this ported webserver? Guess I dont know what your application for it will be.

I would think getting an old outdated computer and install ubuntu. Plenty of documentation out there and probably a lot more flexible.

But..... +1 for your diligence and perseverance and hope you tame this beast !! :rockin:

I love to make things do something they were not designed to do (hack) but in this case ... while a great project and unique .... I guess I really dont see the point.

Well, I have to say that my motives are less than ... noble. You see, what the Wii hosts as a webserver is the image of whatever disk is in it in it's entirety. So, by having it run the host and my computer download it, I get an unaltered pristine image of the game that is in the Wii at the time. Transfering that at 60 Kb/s will take just over a day, whereas at 400+ Kb/s will only be 3-4 hrs. I know, I know... ethics and such... still it's more about the ablility to do it... it's fun.

Thought about that, but the Wii says it's got a very strong signal, The router is just on the other side of a wall from the Wii. I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out... I might just go purchase another router to test if that's the issue...

Wireless signal has two parts. Strength and quality. You can have a very strong dirty signal or a very weak, clear signal. Both affect retransmissions, which affects effective bandwidth.

Check the signal quality/ effective bandwidth. Also, relocate your Wii next to the router and see if it changes. TV cabinets are notorious for nasty RF noise. Personally, given your stated goal, I'd hardwire it. Look here for compatible adapters: http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_ethernet_adapter

Regarding the earlier post about going out the net, that's not the case. You router is aware that it is the external address referenced and will never put the packet on the "outside" wire. That doesn't mean the router won't introduce a hop delay, but 60kbps is much too low unless the router is broken.

I just wrote this wicked long post...and somehow I lost it, grrr, so this one will be short and sweet

I'm going with the it's your wireless signal being the problem. However, how well does it work when downloading things onto the Wii, like games and channels and crap?

Good info guys, as far as how well it does downloading other stuff, now that I think about it, it has taken a while in the past to download the firmware upgrades... I'll try moving it tonight and see if that does it... thanks!

Good info guys, as far as how well it does downloading other stuff, now that I think about it, it has taken a while in the past to download the firmware upgrades... I'll try moving it tonight and see if that does it... thanks!

walls are crazy...sometimes you can go through a cinder block wall, and sometimes you can barely go through a regular wall....it's crazy

This can have many reasons. Your router (Netgear WGR614v5) is only capable of doing 54Mbit/s) to begin with. The wireless router or switch most likely is not the bottleneck. The bottlenecks are in most cases the computers themselves. What wifi hardware does your computer have? It might have an older standard and is only able to go up to a certain speed. Signal strength also influences your wifi speed. Another factor is the computer. Slower hard drive, busy hard drive, etc. The possibilities are almost endless.

This can have many reasons. Your router (Netgear WGR614v5) is only capable of doing 54Mbit/s) to begin with. The wireless router or switch most likely is not the bottleneck. The bottlenecks are in most cases the computers themselves. What wifi hardware does your computer have? It might have an older standard and is only able to go up to a certain speed. Signal strength also influences your wifi speed. Another factor is the computer. Slower hard drive, busy hard drive, etc. The possibilities are almost endless.

I think you misread the OP. He said 60 KILObits. Unless your hardware is really screwed up (or loaded like a mother), that's a connection issue.

Latest posts

Back