Will this carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I made a Rochefort 10 clone a week and a half ago that i still have in the primary (such a big beer i wanted to keep in primary for two weeks) but will transfer to secondary this weekend. The abv came out to right around 10% (my initial OG might have been off because it's supposed to be around 11.2%). I pitched with two smack packs of Wyeast 1762 Belgian abbey II and the fermentation went crazy! My question is, when i go to bottle in a few weeks what should i do about getting it to carb up because i have heard about too high an abv preventing the yeast from working to carb the beer in the bottle and from the sound of it my abv might be too high to do that.

I'm sure other folks with more experience could weigh in here but from what I've read that sounds like a pretty quick schedule for a big Belgian, you might benefit from a long cool aging period followed by a repitch of a dry ale yeast at bottling time (just like 1/4 packet of dry).

Also you really want it to hit those last points of attenuation or you'll get a sweet beer, you say your ABV was lower than expected are you sure the beer's done? Maybe you could raise the temp for a few days if possible and see if you lower the grav a few points before transferring.

Sorry, some of that was off topic for your question, I just got done reading Brew Like A Monk so stuff like this on my mind...

Well i was planning to let the beer age a lot longer in a secondary to free up space but thinking about it now i don't really need to free up space as i just got another fermenter in yesterday (planning on brewing a chocolate raspberry stout this weekend). I figured two weeks in the primary and about 4 weeks in secondary (maybe) would be enough before bottling but i could be wrong. I could keep it in primary longer about maybe a week? Reason i'm sure it's done and that maybe my OG was off is because the kit called for a starting OG of around 1.110 and mine was 1.096 so maybe my wort wasn't mixed well enough or something else was causing my reading to get thrown off so much. My fermentation temps have been around 68-70 but got up to about 76-78 while it was initially fermenting (was told that this was normal for such a vigorous fermentation). I have had constant readings for the past few days at 1.020 which is what the kit calls for the FG to be around so i would think that fermentation should be done. Last time i opened it though was maybe a tiny bit of krausen still on top (so little you could see through it to the actual beer though).

It sounds like fermentation is mostly done. I would, however, leave it on the yeast to condition another 2 weeks at least, then move it to a secondary and let it condition further for another 2-3 months before bottling. With that amount of time and the high ABV I would repitch at bottling time. And then squirrel those bottles away for at least a couple of months before you start drinking them!

GT

Back